PORTSIDELABOR Archives

May 2020, Week 4

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2020 20:00:09 -0400

 		 [The murder of George Floyd, which was preceded by the deaths of
Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor illustrates the devastating impact
racism. At moments like these, we in the labor movement cannot be
silent and must express our outrage.] [https://portside.org/]

 PORTSIDE LABOR

 UNITED STEELWORKERS ON SOLIDARITY AND JUSTICE FOR BLACK LIVES
[https://portside.org/2020-05-28/united-steelworkers-solidarity-and-justice-black-lives]

 May 27, 2020
United Steel Workers
[https://www.usw.org/news/media-center/articles/2020/united-steelworkers-on-solidarity-and-justice-for-black-lives]

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2020-05-28/united-steelworkers-solidarity-and-justice-black-lives&text=United%20Steelworkers%20on%20Solidarity%20and%20Justice%20for%20Black%20Lives]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2020-05-28/united-steelworkers-solidarity-and-justice-black-lives]

 _ The murder of George Floyd, which was preceded by the deaths of
Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor illustrates the devastating impact
racism. At moments like these, we in the labor movement cannot be
silent and must express our outrage. _

 , USW

_United Steelworkers (USW) Vice President Fred Redmond and the USW
Civil and Human Rights Department released the following statement on
behalf of the union in response to the killing of George Floyd in
Minnesota:_

Our union, the United Steelworkers, is great because of our
solidarity, our respect for each other, and our unyielding commitment
to justice, fairness and equality. The labor movement gains its
strength from our common belief that all people are inherently
valuable and have an undeniable right to a fair, just and dignified
life, regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Many of us, as a result, were not only appalled but distraught to
witness the killing of a Black man in Minnesota, George Floyd, at the
hands of Minnesota police officers while lying on the ground
handcuffed. One of the officers kneeled on Mr. Floyd’s neck as he
begged for his life with those now familiar words, “I can’t
breathe.”

WE ARE A BETTER NATION THAN THIS.

At a time when the world is struggling through a global pandemic that
is exposing vast disparities in health, well-being and economic
security, the murder of George Floyd, which was preceded by the deaths
of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky, further
illustrates the devastating impact racism and violence have on Black
People in America in 2020.

Many of us are saddened, but too many of our African-American members
are worried that they can be stopped on the way home from work or a
union meeting and suffer the same fate as George Floyd.

At moments like these, we in the labor movement cannot be silent and
must express our collective outrage over these brutal murders.

We call upon the U.S. Justice Department and the FBI to ensure
constitutional enforcement of the law by state and local law
enforcement agencies, by investigating and prosecuting the
perpetrators of crimes such as this.

We cannot fight the racism, hate and impunity that threaten the lives
of Black people and other people of color unless the Justice
Department takes the necessary actions to ensure full and real
accountability.

	*