PORTSIDELABOR Archives

July 2020, Week 2

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2020 20:17:18 -0400

 		 [ The president of the nation’s largest teachers’ union hit
back at President Trump over his demand that schools resume in-person
classes this fall, saying reopening cannot take place without
guaranteeing the safety of students and staff.]
[https://portside.org/]

 PORTSIDE LABOR

 TEACHERS UNION PRESIDENT DARES TRUMP TO SIT IN CLASSROOM AMID
CORONAVIRUS 'AND BREATHE THAT AIR'
[https://portside.org/node/23323]

 Zack Budryx
 July 8, 2020
The Hill

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/node/23323&text=Teachers%20Union%20President%20Dares%20Trump%20to%20Sit%20in%20Classroom%20Amid%20Coronavirus%20%27and%20Breathe%20That%20Air%27]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/node/23323]

 _ The president of the nation’s largest teachers’ union hit back
at President Trump over his demand that schools resume in-person
classes this fall, saying reopening cannot take place without
guaranteeing the safety of students and staff. _

 ,

The president of the nation’s largest teachers’ union hit back
at President Trump [https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump] over
his demand that schools resume in-person classes this fall, saying
reopening cannot take place without guaranteeing the safety of
students and staff.

“Did you hear the word he didn’t use? ‘Safely,'” National
Education Association (NEA) President Lily Eskelsen Garcia said
Wednesday in reference to Trump’s event the previous day on
reopening schools.

“There’s no one that wants our kids back more than teachers ...
but we want to open it safely,” she said on CNN’s “New Day.”

“We see what happens when they let bars open prematurely,” she
added, noting spikes in coronavirus community spread in states that
were quick to reopen. “This isn’t a bar. We’re talking about
second graders. I had 39 sixth graders one year in my class. I double
dog dare Donald Trump to sit in a class of 39 sixth graders and
breathe that air without any preparation for how we’re going to
bring our kids back safely.”

The NEA has said any return to in-person classes must be accompanied
by districts receiving personal protective equipment, deep-cleaning
procedures that meet Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
standards, classroom layouts that accommodate six feet of distancing
and hand-washing and sanitizing stations installed.

Asked how the cost of those upgrades would be covered, Garcia said
Congress had already readily “[thrown] money at businesses so that
they wouldn’t have to lay people off,” but noted that Trump has
called the HEROES Act, which would pump money into schools for virus
preparation, “dead on arrival.”

House Democrats passed the $3 trillion HEROES Act in May. The measure
has not been taken up in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Trump on Wednesday morning threatened to cut funding to schools that
fail to reopen, claiming without evidence that reluctance to open was
an attempt to sabotage him politically.

	*