PORTSIDELABOR Archives

February 2016, Week 1

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:15:18 -0500
AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders On Sec. Hillary Clinton’s Victory InThe Iowa Caucus

February 3, 2016
By AFSCME
AFSCME (February 3, 2016)

American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees President Lee Saunders said his members helped make the difference in Secretary Hillary Clinton&#039;s victory in Iowa. She won union households 52-43 percent over Senator and that 21 percent of caucus goers came from union households.

AFSCME President Lee Saunders issued the following statement on the results of the 2016 Iowa Caucus:
“Last night in Iowa, we saw proof of two things: AFSCME’s boots on the ground make a difference for candidates who stand with working people, and Hillary Clinton is the best candidate to restore the middle class, fix our unbalanced economy, and ensure we strengthen unions to strengthen America.
“AFSCME public service workers are proud to have made a crucial difference in last night’s results. AFSCME Iowa Council 61 is the largest public service workers union in the state and the efforts of our members there helped push Secretary Clinton to victory last night. Entrance polling shows that Secretary Clinton won union households 52-43 over Sen. Bernie Sanders, and 21 percent of caucus goers last night came from union households. That is a testament to the work AFSCME put in on the ground for months in this campaign. Hundreds of AFSCME volunteers knocked on more than 8,000 doors, engaged in more than 11,000 one-on-one conversations with members, and put in more than 1,000 volunteer shifts for the campaign during our GOTC program.
“This is just the beginning of a long campaign and we know that Secretary Clinton will continue to travel the nation, listening to workers and earning each vote with her message of an economy that works for all, protecting and extending the promise of retirement security, and defending and expanding President Obama’s landmark health care legislation. Just as public service workers never quit making our communities safer, healthier and stronger, we will never quit working to elect a president who shares our passion for public service.”
AFSCME's 1.6 million members provide the vital services that make America happen. With members in hundreds of different occupations — from nurses to corrections officers, child care providers to sanitation workers — AFSCME advocates for fairness in the workplace, excellence in public services and prosperity and opportunity for all working families.
###
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO
	1625 L Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20036-5687
	Telephone: (202) 429-1145
	Fax: (202) 429-1120

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/2016-02-03/afscme-pres-lee-saunders-sec-hillary-clinton%E2%80%99s-victory-inthe-iowa-caucus
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org