PORTSIDELABOR Archives

May 2018, Week 2

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 22:33:43 -0400

 		 [“We have regular emergencies on the buses,” said John
Samuelsen, president of the Transport Workers Union. “Folks have
heart attacks on buses, children get lost on buses. Every aspect of
life in America, the bus and subway are microcosms of it. A robot’s
not going to help, ] [https://portside.org/]

 PORTSIDE LABOR

 HUMAN BUS DRIVERS WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN ROBOT BUS DRIVERS
[https://portside.org/2018-05-08/human-bus-drivers-will-always-be-better-robot-bus-drivers]

 Tracey Lindeman
 May 7, 2018
Motherboard
[https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/43bkx3/bus-driver-automation]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-08/human-bus-drivers-will-always-be-better-robot-bus-drivers]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-08/human-bus-drivers-will-always-be-better-robot-bus-drivers]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-08/human-bus-drivers-will-always-be-better-robot-bus-drivers&text=Human%20Bus%20Drivers%20Will%20Always%20Be%20Better%20Than%20Robot%20Bus%20Drivers]

 _ “We have regular emergencies on the buses,” said John
Samuelsen, president of the Transport Workers Union. “Folks have
heart attacks on buses, children get lost on buses. Every aspect of
life in America, the bus and subway are microcosms of it. A robot’s
not going to help, _

 Machines can make decisions. That doesn’t mean they’re right.,
Kronk, Wired

“I could write a book,” the NYC city bus driver told me on the
phone. Bus operators deal with the very best and worst of humanity on
a daily basis, and for that they—or, at least most of them—are
saints.

Right now, however, bus drivers are feeling like an endangered
species. Though the technology is far from perfect
[https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2017/11/09/a-driverless-bus-got-into-a-crash-on-its-first-day/],
the looming threat of driverless buses
[https://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherfarmbrough/2018/01/31/ugly-but-useful-stockholm-introduces-driverless-busses/#1e5af71860f4] is
palpable for many workers—even if it’s unlikely to impact this
generation of drivers. The human-centric parts of the job are
extremely difficult to fully automate. Bus drivers are often
therapists to front-seat talkers, helpers to elderly and disabled
people, compasses to lost children and tourists, and guardians of both
the passengers in the bus and the world outside.

In Columbus, Ohio—which won a $40-million grant
[https://www.transportation.gov/smartcity/winner] from the US
Department of Transportation (USDOT) in 2016 to develop a smart city
that includes autonomous vehicles—drivers are preemptively
organizing to protect their jobs, even though the city says it’s not
currently looking to replace them.

“It’s very important that the individuals that are behind the
technology know that we’re not against it, but we do more than just
open the door and close the door,” said Andrew Jordan
[http://www.dispatch.com/opinion/20180401/andrew-jordan-smart-city-or-no-buses-should-have-drivers],
a bus driver of 15 years and the president of the Local 208 branch of
the Transport Workers Union (TWU) in Columbus. Local 208 is planning a
lobby day later this month, and hopes to get a resolution passed at
the May council meeting that promises not to phase out drivers in
favour of robots.

Robin Davis, the director of media relations for the City of Columbus,
said in an interview that the city has no current driverless-bus
ambitions. In its original USDOT grant application, Columbus
envisioned testing six self-driving shuttles, but Davis explained in
an email to Motherboard that autonomous vehicle technology isn’t
advancing fast enough to accomplish that. She also said “we strongly
believe that a human operator would still be required to serve as a
resource to users and to monitor the technology.”

Still, it’d be naive to think the primary appeal of driverless buses
isn’t to cut wages. There are more than 28,000 city bus drivers in
the US [https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes533021.htm] earning a
decent middle-class salary. Transit also has a high union
density, John Samuelsen [http://www.twu.org/our-union/leadership/],
the president of the TWU International, told me on the phone.
Autonomization, he said, is “a not-so-thinly-veiled attack on the
trade union movement.”

Though the fear of robot replacement is pressing in drivers’ minds,
it may not be as imminent of a threat to their jobs as it seems. Ryan
Popple—the CEO of Proterra, a popular maker of electric buses that
is also exploring autonomous buses
[https://www.proterra.com/press-release/emphasizing-safe-intelligent-transportation-proterra-begins-first-autonomous-bus-program-in-the-united-states/]—explained
in a phone call that it’s unlikely city bus fleets will ever be
entirely autonomous.

According to him, first responders, FEMA, police, or the military need
to be able to commandeer buses in emergencies, for example. The
transit system is also a primary go-to for runaways and youth in
crisis, and Safe Place
[http://www.nationalsafeplace.org/what-is-safe-place], a national
youth outreach and prevention program, works to train drivers how to
assist them. There’s also autonomous buses’ susceptibility to
crime, he said; a person could potentially use an obstacle to block a
bus and rob everyone on board while the bus patiently waits.

Meanwhile, an extensive 2016 report
[http://www.trb.org/Publications/Blurbs/170626.aspx] about
transportation and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) by the US
Transportation Research Board concluded that people with disabilities
use regular public transit far more frequently than paratransit,
partly because of greater frequency and reliability of service. It
would be very difficult to make autonomous buses comply with ADA
rules, said Popple.

“Silicon Valley isn’t great about thinking about these issues,”
Popple said.

Of course, his company and many others are looking introduce some
autonomous features to buses. Advanced driver assistance systems use
sensors and other technology to keep the driver updated on blind
spots, lane departure, lane keep, and so on. Proterra also uses Level
1
[https://www.techrepublic.com/article/autonomous-driving-levels-0-to-5-understanding-the-differences/] autonomy
to help align its electric buses with rooftop fast chargers at stops.
Samuelsen of TWU International said drivers have no qualms with that
usage of technology.

In our phone calls, bus drivers Abed and Jordan recounted a number of
instances where human intervention made a difference. “We had a bus
operator call in a fire and put himself in harm’s way to wake the
family up to get them out of the home,” said Jordan. In another
instance, a bus driver pulled over to help a toddler who was wandering
around alone.

“We have regular emergencies on the buses,” said Samuelsen, an NYC
track worker of 26 years who has been on loan to TWU since 2009.
“Folks have heart attacks on buses, children get lost on buses.
Every aspect of life in America, the bus and subway are microcosms of
it. A robot’s not going to help, a robot’s not going to care.”