From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:46:35 -0400
Even for Middle Class, Tax Cuts Dig Deficit Deeper

By Derrick Z. Jackson
The Boston Globe
September 14, 2010

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/09/14/even_for_middle_class_tax_cuts_dig_deficit_deeper/

THE LATEST Republican bouncer for the ultrawealthy now says
he may let one Obama administration policy through the gilded
gates. House minority leader John Boehner of Ohio said he may
drop his opposition to President Obama’s plan to maintain the
Bush-era tax cuts for 97 percent of Americans, but let them
expire for the top-earning 3 percent. Boehner has loudly
insisted for weeks that the top 3 percent must be included.
His railing reached the point last month where he called for
Obama to fire Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and top
White House economic adviser Larry Summers for aiding Obama’s
"job-killing agenda.’’

Those attacks went nowhere in recent polls, with barely more
than a third of Americans supporting tax cuts for the super
rich. CBS and Newsweek respectively found 56 and 52 percent
of Americans supporting eliminating tax cuts for households
making above $250,000. Gallup found that 44 percent supported
expiration of the cuts for the top 3 percent and 15 percent
more wanted the tax cuts to expire across the board.

That left a defensive Boehner telling CBS's 'Face the
Nation" on Sunday, 'If the only option I have is to vote for
some of those tax reductions, I'll vote for them . . . But I
think that's bad policy . . . we've got to cut spending."

To read more, go to:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/09/14/even_for_middle_class_tax_cuts_dig_deficit_deeper/

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]