Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:56:35 -0400
Three Items on Impending Arizona Immigration Law

1.Prison Lobbyists Working For AZ Gov. Brewer Are Set To Profit
From Immigration Law She Signed

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/26/prison-brewer/

This Thursday, SB-1070, Arizona's radical new immigration
law, will go into effect. Despite an incoming lawsuit from
the Obama administration's Department of Justice, Gov. Jan
Brewer (R-AZ) has maintained that her state 'will prevail,'
claiming that she is simply defending the border integrity
and safety of her state.

Yet a new investigation by local Arizona TV news station CBS
5 finds that the Brewer administration may have ulterior
motives for its strong support of the new law. The station
has found that 'two of Brewer's top advisers have
connections' to private prison giant Corrections Corporation
of America (CCA).

Paul Senseman, Brewer's deputy chief of staff, is a former
lobbyist for CCA. His wife continues to lobby for the
company. Meanwhile Chuck Coughlin, who leads her re-election
campaign, chaired her transition into the governorship, and
is one of the governor's policy advisors, is president of
HighGround Public Affairs Consultants, which lobbies for CCA.

This is important because CCA currently 'holds the federal
contract to house detainees in Arizona.' CBS 5 notes that the
company currently bills $11 million a month to the state of
Arizona and that, if SB-1070 is successfully implemented, its
profits would be significantly padded as it would take
responsibility for imprisoning immigrants arrested by Arizona
police.

The company maintains that it 'unequivocally, did not at any
time lobby - nor did we have any outside consultants lobby -
anyone in Arizona on the immigration law,' but direct
lobbying would not be necessary with allies like Senseman and
Coughlin working directly for Brewer.

Coughlin, in particular, has a history of boasting about the
influence he has had on the state government on behalf of
private business. In an interview earlier this month, he
bragged about privatizing the commercial garbage business in
Mesa, Arizona, by coordinating with industry lobbyists. He
told the interviewer, 'I can make [expletive] happen.'

Perhaps even more alarmingly, he explained his influence over
Brewer to the interviewer. Coughlin explained that when he
worked for Gov. Fife Symington (R-AZ) as his chief lobbyist,
he locked horns with Brewer, who was at the time the Senate
majority whip. He explained that his lobbying was so
effective that she now says, 'I was scared of you guys' - and
that he has run her campaigns ever since:

    Q: You got to the Capitol not long after Jan Brewer. Have
    you known her since then?

    COUGHLIN: We both have discussed that. We tried to
    remember when we first really met. We think we met - I'm
    fairly confident - when I worked for Grant and she was in
    the House. I was Grant's lobbyist, because I left Bob's
    (Bob Robb) firm and I went to work for Grant as his
    director of public affairs in '91, after his election.

    Where we really got to know each other well was years
    later when she was Senate majority whip and I was Fife's
    chief lobbyist in '95. She was the chief vote-counter in
    the Senate, and it was our job to get the governor's
    agenda through, so I got to know her pretty well. Fife's
    team had a fairly aggressive, robust reputation. She'll
    say to this day, 'I was scared of you guys,' that we'd
    come in and threaten her or something like that. I don't
    recall that.

    She called me after I left Fife's employ in ‘96 and
    started a firm called Coughlin Communications. We changed
    that to HighGround about four months later when Wes
    (Gullett) joined me. She came to me after that session
    and told me she wanted to run for county supervisor.
    We've run all her campaigns ever since.

= = = = =

2. A Week Of Protest In L.A. As Demonstrators Decry Arizona's
Immigration Law, Set To Take Effect Thursday

By Dennis Romero,

July 26, 2010

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/city-news/arizona-freeway-protest/

?Activists decrying Arizona's controversial immigration law
will hold banners on bridges spanning the 101 freeway
downtown during the afternoon commute Monday. The group calls
itself "We Are All Arizona" and will be in action on the
Broadway Avenue, Spring Street and Grand Avenue overpasses to
the 101 from 4 to 6 p.m.

Another group, the Southern California Immigration Coalition,
stated it would also hold demonstrations Tuesday and
Wednesday at 5 p.m. outside the downtown Federal Building
before trekking to Arizona Wednesday night to take part in
Thursday protests there.

We Are All Arizona planned additional protests Tuesday and
Wednesday as well, with a "major action" promised for
Thursday, the day Arizona's legislation was scheduled to take
effect.

"Activists will highlight the racist nature of immigration
enforcement measures that terrorize our communities ... ,"
the group stated.

It's the same organization that saw 14 of its members
arrested in May for blocking the entrance to the Federal
Detention Center downtown during an pro-immigrant protest
there.

= = = = =

3. Hispanic Immigrants Continue To Flee Arizona Ahead Of
Crackdown

By Nick Wing

First Posted: 07-26-10, The Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/hispanic-immigrants-conti_n_659345.html

Arizona's strict new illegal immigration law, SB 1070, is set
to begin enforcement this Thursday, leaving many Hispanic
immigrants, both legal and illegal, less than a week to
decide their course of action.

Hispanic immigrants with U.S. citizenship must choose whether
to leave the state, or stay in Arizona and risk suffering
what many have seen as a likelihood for racial discrimination
that will take place when law enforcement officials begin the
mandated practice of investigating the immigration statuses
of suspected undocumented individuals during lawful stops.

The choice is a much more consequential one for illegal
immigrants in Arizona. If they decide to remain in the state
after Thursday, they will be living under the nation's
harshest measures against illegal immigration.

According to Reuters' report:

    'In a sign of a gathering exodus, Mexican businesses from
    grocers and butcher shops to diners and beauty salons
    have shut their doors in recent weeks as their owners and
    clients leave.

    'On Saturday and Sunday, Reuters counted dozens of
    impromptu yard sales in Latino neighbourhoods in central
    and west Phoenix.'

While the legal battle rages on, with several lawsuits
currently mounted, including one from the United States
Justice Department, activists plan more protests to oppose
the impending enforcement of the law.

According to CNN:

    'The protesters include immigrant students, religious
    leaders, day laborers and members of several unions
    including the United Food and Commercial Workers Union,
    the Teamsters and the Utility Workers of America Union.'

    But not all Arizonans of Hispanic ancestry will be
    joining in opposition of Arizona's controversial
    immigration law.

    Last week, the Arizona Latino Republican Association came
    out against the Justice Department's lawsuit against SB
    1070, becoming the first Hispanic group to provide legal
    support for the new immigration policy.

    Jesse Hernandez, a member of the Arizona Republican
    Latino Association, explained the law's opponents as
    misinformed fear-mongers.

    "They throw out this verbiage, racist, discrimination,
    Nazis -- they're just trying to drum up fear among the
    public," Hernandez told CNN. "We live in a society that
    doesn't read anymore, that is spoon-fed by TV. That's why
    I'm challenging them to pick up the law and read it and
    not believe the rhetoric that is coming out from the
    left."

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit