From:
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:56:55 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
February 19, 2012

'The truth is, this is bigger than Citizens United.
This is about a fundamentally broken system that
desperately needs a comprehensive plan to fix it. So
the president's support of a constitutional amendment
has to be the first step in a plan for concrete action
and a campaign for pro-democracy reforms of all kinds.

'President Obama has identified this election as a
"make-or-break moment for the middle class." It surely
is. But it is also a make-or-break moment for our
democracy. He just made a difficult, and risky choice.
It's up to us now to push him, so that no president can
make that choice ever again. Pragmatism, after all,
yields only temporary solutions; our long-term course
must be guided by larger ideals.'

Nation editor Katrina vanden Heuvel
author of the book 'The Change I
Believe In: Fighting for Progress in
the Age of Obama.'

Washington Post
February 14, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7bz5p9h

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7sqzgef
Campaign Comeback
Brian McFadden - New York Times

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
February 20, 2012

'... we could actually do a lot to help our economies
simply by reversing the destructive austerity of the
last two years. That's true even in America, which has
avoided full-fledged austerity at the federal level but
has seen big spending and employment cuts at the state
and local level. Remember all the fuss about whether
there were enough "shovel ready" projects to make
large-scale stimulus feasible? Well, never mind: all
the federal government needs to do to give the economy
a big boost is provide aid to lower-level governments,
allowing these governments to rehire the hundreds of
thousands of schoolteachers they have laid off and
restart the building and maintenance projects they have
canceled.

'Look, I understand why influential people are
reluctant to admit that policy ideas they thought
reflected deep wisdom actually amounted to utter,
destructive folly. But it's time to put delusional
beliefs about the virtues of austerity in a depressed
economy behind us.'

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
February 20, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/79v3psl

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7v7crx8
Tip of Iceberg
Chris Weyant

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
February 21, 2012

'For all it has done to promote confrontation between
the United States and Iran, the American Israel Public
Affairs Committee has worked to avoid the public
perception that AIPAC is openly promoting war. In
AIPAC's public documents, the emphasis has always been
on tougher sanctions. (If you make sanctions "tough"
enough - an effective embargo - that is an act of war,
but it is still at one remove from saying that the US
should start bombing.)

'But a new Senate effort to move the goalposts of US
policy to declare it "unacceptable" for Iran to
develop a nuclear weapons capability - not a nuclear
weapon, but the technical capacity to create one -
gives AIPAC the opportunity to make a choice which all
can observe. If the Lieberman resolution becomes an
ask for AIPAC lobbyists at the March AIPAC policy
conference, then the world will know: AIPAC is
lobbying Congress for war with Iran.

'Sponsors of the [Sen. Joseph] Lieberman resolution
deny that it is an "authorisation for military force",
and in a legal, technical sense, they are absolutely
correct: it is not a legal authorisation for military
force. But it is an attempt to enact a political
authorisation for military force. It is an attempt to
pressure the administration politically to move forward
the tripwire for war, to a place indistinguishable from
the status quo that exists today. If successful, this
political move would make it impossible for the
administration to pursue meaningful diplomatic
engagement with Iran, shutting down the most plausible
alternative to war.'

Robert Naiman
Policy Director at Just Foreign Policy.
aljazeea
February 19, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7m35zcp

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/8yx6qmt
Spring Training
Signe Wilkinson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
February 22, 2012

'Our movement is not intended to delegitimize Israel,
as the Israeli government claims. It is, instead, a
movement to delegitimize the Israeli occupation of the
West Bank, which we believe is the last surviving
apartheid system in the world. It is a movement that
could free Palestinians from nearly 45 years of
occupation and Israelis from being part of the last
colonial-settler system of our time.'

Mustafa Barghouthi, a doctor and
member of the Palestinian Parliament,
is secretary general of the
Palestinian National Initiative,
a political party

'Peaceful Protest Can Free Palestine'
New York Times
February 22, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7f8da9u

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6vrw6wm
Whine Press
Tom Toles - Washington Post

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
February 23, 2012

'Bottom line: Whoever emerges as the GOP standard-
bearer will be deeply indebted to a handful of people,
each of whom will expect a good return on their
investment.

'And this is just the beginning. We haven't even come
to the general election.

'... Now, the limits are gone. And this comes precisely
at a time when an almost unprecedented share of the
nation's income and wealth is accumulating at the top.

'Never before in the history of our Republic have so
few spent so much to influence the votes of so many.'

Economist Roebrt Reich
blog
February 21, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/6vb3lb9

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/7z2mt59
Ding Dong
Pat Oliphant

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
February 24, 2012

'And all but the most privileged Americans will pay the
price if the nation's wealthiest can buy elections.'

Editorial
New York Times
February 24, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/7phbowe

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6wuhclc
Obama's Fault
Ed Stein

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
February 25, 2012

'Recent assessments by American spy agencies are
broadly consistent with a 2007 intelligence finding
that concluded that Iran had abandoned its nuclear
weapons program years earlier, according to current and
former American officials. The officials said that
assessment was largely reaffirmed in a 2010 National
Intelligence Estimate, and that it remains the
consensus view of America's 16 intelligence agencies.'

New York Times
February 25, 202
http://tinyurl.com/7obttl9

Toon of the Day