From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:15:43 -0400
In Prague

Nick Holdstock
http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/

Around 600 protesters gathered in Prague on Saturday
morning near the Old Town Square. 'No Corruption', the
banners said: 'We are One'; 'Game Over. Insert CHANGE to
Continue.' We marched first to the stock exchange, then on
towards the Vltava River, surrounded all the way by
police, who often stopped us for no obvious reason. At one
of these halts a man in plain clothes took photographs,
which caused some anger, but otherwise the mood was
cheerful.

In front of a government building on the other side of the
river people waved their keys in the air, an echo of one
of the gestures made during the Velvet Revolution.
Halfway up the long, looping road to the Castle - no one
was shouting slogans; it's a stiff climb - the police
stopped us again. A tourist bus disgorged its passengers.
They were in their sixties and seventies, well-dressed,
affluent-looking, unlikely, on the face of it, to be
sympathetic to our calls for an end to global capitalism,
inequality and the tyranny of the banks. They stared at us
for a moment. Then they began to applaud. The crowd found
its voice.