Condense Mail Headers

From:
Portside Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 22:34:49 -0400
1 Kent State -- Peter Neil Carroll
2 Re: Happy Birthday, Pete Seeger
  -- Steve Share, Leonard Lehrman, Nancy B

=====
11111

From: Peter Neil Carroll
Subject: Kent State

Kent State

May 4, and my thoughts turn
to the young strikers
in my Minnesota history class, risking
more than a grade
to stop the war that made no sense
even to the scavengers sweeping
the campus for bodies.

Simmons, the blond kid who bullshitted me
to enroll, turns up on page one
a month later, charged with sabotage
for destroying draft records.
My pal Dubis tore the printed Constitution
from back pages of a U.S. history textbook,
ceremoniously buried the sacred words
at Kent and learned one of his students,
Allison, was killed that Monday. He burned
his unfinished PhD thesis and fled
into the Rocky Mountains, working
as a dishwasher when I visited him.

At my campus rally, a woman urged me
not to lecture and I dragged her
to a student's apartment
where I taught secretly and we fell
in love. So the revolution still breathes
on gray embers, flaring my diminishing hope.

All those students are now old men and women,
some like Gail with her beautiful African smile
(and how many others?) are dead.
_Don't let the past_, I quoted
from a rock album that day,
and quote again every day since,
_remind us of who we are not now_.

--Peter Neil Carroll

[Carroll's newest manuscript, A Child Turns Back to
Wave, has just won the Prize Americana and will be
published later this year. -- moderator]

=====
22222

From: Steve Share
Re: Happy Birthday, Pete Seeger

Lee Hays wrote "If I Had a Hammer," not Pete Seeger.

Thanks!

--Steve

---

From: Leonard Lehrman
Re: Happy Birthday, Pete Seeger

Happy Birthday, Pete. Here's another video posted
recently of Pete, David Bernz, Connie Hogarth, Helene
Williams, yours truly, and many others, singing at a
memorial to Art Kamell, Dec. 4. 2010, including "So
Long, It's Been Good to Know You" and Pete leading "If I
Had A Hammer":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5oiKkdSC18

--Leonard J. Lehrman

---