From:
Portside <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 03:03:15 -0400
Friday Nite Videos -- May 1, 2015 (Five for May Day)

May 1, 2015
By
Portside (May 1, 2015)

Whose country is this anyhow? Whose world is it going to be? Those are questions that the May Day, the international workers&#039; holiday, has always asked. Listen to these five songs of labor and struggle, from brand new to nearly a century old, and take pleasure and inspiration from how they point to answers.

	Rihanna - American Oxygen

	What breathes life into the American Dream, what's creating the 'New America,' this song boldly claims in word and image, is the country's diverse people and their struggles.

	Dolly Parton -- Nine to Five

	Dolly Parton's super lyrics and voice, with quick clips of Dolly, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda from the movie 9 to 5. All sentiments still relevant.

	Machaliotis Dimitris' Minimum Wage

	In this telling, if you're singing the blues looking for glory, brother you're in the wrong game.

	Dropkick Murphys -- Worker's Song

	Music and lyrics: "We're the first ones to starve, We're the first ones to die, We're the first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky"

	Skip James -- Hard Times Killin' Floor Blues

	Chris Thomas King recorded this cover of Delta bluesman Skip James' story of Depresion Era poverty for the movie O Brother Where Art Thou.

VIEW ONLINE: http://portside.org/2015-05-02/friday-nite-videos-may-1-2015-five-may-day
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org