From:
Portside <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2019 21:13:56 -0500

 		 [ Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants
is calling on "conference activists from across the Labor Movement" to
conduct a "general strike to end the government shutdown."]
[https://portside.org/]

 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS PRESIDENT CALLS FOR GENERAL STRIKE TO END
GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN - THE FIERCE URGENCY OF NOW
[https://portside.org/node/19204]

 Sara Nelson
 January 22, 2019
Association of Flight Attendants, CWA, AFL-CIO
[https://www.afacwa.org/fierce_urgency_of_now]

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/node/19204&text=Flight%20Attendants%20President%20Calls%20for%20General%20Strike%20to%20End%20Government%20Shutdown%20-%20The%20Fierce%20Urgency%20of%20Now]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/node/19204]

 _ Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants is
calling on "conference activists from across the Labor Movement" to
conduct a "general strike to end the government shutdown." _

 ,

AFA International President Sara Nelson accepted the 2019 AFL-CIO MLK
Drum Major for Justice Award, with a call to conference activists from
across the Labor Movement to talk with their union leadership about
conducting a General Strike to end the Government Shutdown.

Sara Nelson Introduction for 2019 AFL-CIO MLK Drum Major for Justice
Award
Watch here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1OEZb8UfY].

Thank you. I am proud to represent my union tonight, the Association
of Flight Attendants-CWA. We are aviation’s first responders and
last line of defense. It’s wonderful to be joined by my family, my
fellow officers Debora Sutor and Kevin Creighan, and Flight Attendant
activists who are here participating in our MLK Conference and doing
the work daily on our Human Rights committees. Kia Carroll, Melinda
Jorge, Trina Johnson, and Jennifer Kraakevik – stand up and thank
you for working to make our union stronger!

Receiving this award is an honor that I can’t begin to properly
express. Thank you to the AFL-CIO Civil and Human Rights Committee,
President Trumka, Secretary-Treasurer Shuler and Executive Vice
President Gebre for this extraordinary award.

But, This award is not about me. This award was created to honor the
legacy of Dr. King. This award is about all of us. We are together
here tonight because he called us together. He called on us to come
together with the “fierce urgency of now” to fight for justice.

Our calling is now. There is a humanitarian crisis unfolding right now
for our 800,000 federal sector sisters and brothers who are either
locked out of work or forced to come to work without pay due to the
government shutdown.

These are real people who are facing real consequences of being
dragged into the longest shutdown in history. No money to pay for
rent, for childcare, or a tank of gas to get to work. The federal
worker stretching insulin through the night and wondering if she will
wake up in the morning. The transportation security officer in her
third trimester with no certainty for her unborn child. The
corrections officer who tried to take his own life because he saw no
other way out. The air traffic controller who whispered to his union
leader, “I just don’t know how long I can hang on.”

The situation is changing rapidly. Major airports are already seeing
security checkpoints closing. Many more will follow. Safety inspectors
and federal cybersecurity staff are on furlough, not working. The
layers of safety and security that keep us safe are not in place due
to the shutdown.

I have a growing concern for our members’ safety and security.

In addition, it is likely days – no more than a week – until the
aviation system begins to unravel and massive flight cancelations
ensue. When that happens, private jets won’t take off either, and no
one will get to Atlanta for the Superbowl.

At best, our members will lose work, at worst ..

As I have said many times in recent days, safety and security is
non-negotiable.

The TSA was created for the same reason my friends’ names, along
with 3000 others, are engraved in bronze at the 9/11 memorial in New
York.

If they can’t do their job, I can’t do mine. Dr. King said,
“their destiny is tied up with our destiny. We cannot walk alone.”

Federal workers here tonight - Stand Up.

Flight Attendants and aviation workers - Stand Up.

Nurses who count on the medicine we deliver on our planes - Stand Up.

Everyone who flew to this conference - Stand Up.

Anyone who believes it is a crime to make people work without pay -
Stand Up.

Federal workers, We’ve got your back!

The country sees no solution in sight, but Labor can lead the way. Dr.
King rallied us by reaching for the mountain top. He didn’t seek
integration of just ONE school, he sought freedom in our schools for
ALL children. He didn’t seek integration of just ONE lunch counter,
he aspired to have us ALL “sit down together at the table of
brotherhood.” And sisterhood, Dr. King!

Today, people are starving for this kind of leadership. They are
hungry for answers where some would say there are none. Through our
Labor Movement, we have the answers for them and together we can lead
the way.

We need to follow Dr. King’s lead and think big. Think big like the
hotel workers who took on the largest hotel chain the world and won.
Think BIG, like the teachers in Los Angeles who this very minute are
taking on powerful hedge funds to save public education for our
children.

Dr. King said that “With this faith, we will be able to work
together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail
together, to stand up for freedom together.”

Now listen to me… We can end this Shutdown together.

Federal sector unions have their hands full caring for the 800,000
federal workers who are at the tip of the spear. Some would say the
answer is for them to walk off the job. I say, “what are you willing
to do? Their destiny IS tied up with our destiny – and they don’t
even have time to ask us for help. Don’t wait for an invitation. Get
engaged, join or plan a rally, get on a picket line, organize sit-ins
at lawmakers’ offices.

Almost a million workers are locked out or being forced to work
without pay. Others are going to work when our workspace is
increasingly unsafe. What is the Labor Movement waiting for?

International unions about all workers joining together - To End this
Shutdown with a General Strike.

We can do this. Together. Si se puede. Every gender, race, culture,
and creed. The American Labor Movement. We have the power.

And to all Americans – We’ve Got Your Back!

	*