From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:51:41 -0500
Take a Stand for Peace!

December 16 at the White House

Veterans for Peace
http://www.stopthesewars.org/

Join U.S. veteran-led civil resistance to the wars.

During the Vietnam War, Martin Luther King called our
government "the greatest purveyor of violence in the
world today." True then-and even more so today.

A few years before that, in 1964 Mario Savio made his
great speech at Berkeley; at the end he says, "There is
a time when the operation of the machine becomes so
odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take
part; you can't even passively take part, and you've
got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the
wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and
you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate
to the people who run it, to the people who own it,
that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented
from working at all!"

There are children being orphaned, maimed or killed
every day, in our name, with our tax dollars; there are
soldiers and civilians dying or being maimed for life,
in order to generate profits for the most odious
imperialistic corporate war machine ever, again in our
name. How long are we going to let this go on? Until it
is too late, until this destructive machine destroys
all of us and the planet to boot?

Wikileaks has revealed the documented horror of U.S.
war-making, beyond what any of us imagined. It's time
veterans and others express our resistance directly and
powerfully by putting ourselves on the line, once
again-honestly, courageously and without one drop of
apology for doing so. It is not we who are the
murderers, torturers or pillagers of the earth.

Profit and power-hungry warmongers are destroying
everything we hold dear and sacred.

In the early thirties, WW1 vets descended on
Washington, D.C., to demand their promised bonuses, it
being the depths of the Depression. General Douglas
MacArthur and his sidekick Dwight Eisenhower
disregarded President Herbert Hoover's order and burned
their encampment down and drove the vets out of town at
bayonet point.

We are today's bonus marchers, and we've coming to
claim our bonus-PEACE.

Join activist veterans marching in solidarity to the
White House, refusing to move, demanding the end of
U.S. wars, which includes U.S. support-financial and
tactical-for the Israeli war machine as well.

If we can gather enough courageous souls, nonviolently
refusing to leave the White House, willing to be
dragged away and arrested if necessary, we will send a
message that will be seen worldwide. "End these wars -
now!" We will carry forward a flame of resistance to
the war machine that will not diminish as we
effectively begin to place ourselves, as Mario Savio
said, "upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the
levers, upon all the apparatus." and we will make it
stop.

We believe that the power of courageous, committed
people is greater than that of corporate warmongers.
But we will only see our power when we use it
collectively, when we stand together.

With courage, persistence, boldness and numbers, we can
eventually make this monstrous war machine grind to a
halt, so that our children and all children everywhere
can grow up in a peaceful world.

Join us at the White House on December 16th!

For a world in peace,

Nic Abramson, Veterans For Peace; Elliott Adams, Past
President, Veterans For Peace; Laurie Arbeiter,
Activist Response Team; Ken Ashe, Veterans For Peace;
Ellen Barfield, Veterans For Peace; Brian Becker,
National Coordinator, ANSWER Coalition; Medea Benjamin,
Co-Founder, CODEPINK for Peace; Frida Berrigan, War
Resisters League; Bruce Berry, Veterans For Peace; Leah
Bolger, Veterans For Peace; Elaine Brower, Anti-war
Military Mom and World Can't Wait; Scott Camil,
Veterans For Peace; Ross Caputi, Justice For Fallujah
Project; Kim Carlyle, Veterans For Peace; Armen
Chakerian, Coalition to Stop the $30 Billion to Israel;
Matthis Chiroux, Iraq War Resister Veteran; Gerry
Condon, Veterans For Peace; Will Covert, Veterans For
Peace; Dave Culver, Veterans For Peace; Matt Daloisio,
Witness Against Torture; Ellen Davidson, War Resisters
League; Mike Ferner, President, Veterans For Peace;
Nate Goldshlag, Veterans For Peace; Clare Hanrahan, War
Crimes Times; Mike Hearington, Veterans For Peace; Mark
Johnson, Executive Director. Fellowship of
Reconciliation; Tarak Kauff, Veterans For Peace; Kathy
Kelly, Voices For Creative Nonviolence; Sandy Kelson,
Veterans For Peace; Joel Kovel, Veterans For Peace;
Erik Lobo, Veterans For Peace; Joe Lombardo, United
National Antiwar Committee; Ken Mayers, Veterans For
Peace; Nancy Munger, Co-President, Women's
International League for Peace and Freedom; Fred Nagel,
Veterans For Peace; Pat O'Brien, Women's International
League for Peace and Freedom; Bill Perry, Vietnam
Veterans Against the War; Vito Piccininno, Veterans For
Peace; Mike Prysner, Co-Founder, March Forward; Ward
Reilly, Veterans For Peace; Laura Roskos, Co-President,
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom;
Cindy Sheehan, Founder, Peace of the Action; David
Swanson, author; Debra Sweet, National Director, World
Can't Wait; Mike Tork, Veterans For Peace; Hart Viges,
Iraq Veterans Against the War; Father Louie Vitale, SOA
Watch; Jay Wenk, Veterans For Peace; Linda Wiener,
Veterans For Peace; Diane Wilson, Veterans For Peace;
Col. Ann Wright, Veterans For Peace; Doug Zachary,
Veterans For Peace