From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:40:43 -0500
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
November 4, 2012

''This year, voting is more than just the core
responsibility of citizenship; it is an act of defiance
against malicious political forces determined to
reduce access to democracy. Millions of ballots on
Tuesday - along with those already turned in -
will be cast despite the best efforts of Republican
officials around the country to prevent them from
playing a role in the 2012 election. '

Editorial
New York Times
November 4, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/b6axhq7

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/a433xxp
Attack Ads
Davis Horsey - Los Angeles Times

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
October 5, 2012

'The last thing you want to do is knock on
someone's door during a Packers game.'

Ryan Canney of MoveOn.org about
his plans to do precinct work the
next day in Kenosha, Wisconsin
where his  group and other community
organizations joined the AFL-CIO in
get-out-the-vote work. On Sunday, he
said, he would wait until after the game
to start canvassing.

New York Times
October 4, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/a92ouu4

[The Packers bested the Arizona Cardinals 31-17]

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/befq2tc
Standing in Line
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 6, 2012

'We are striking on Tuesday and Wednesday to send
a message to the government - these measures must
not pass.

'It's unacceptable that the people have to pay for the
funds bankers are getting from the state.'

Nikos Kioutsoukis, general secretary
of the Greek GSEE private sector union
that called the anti-austerity strike along with
the ADEDY public sector union

Reuters
November 5, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/aa9oxae

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/ayq94vs
Plan B
Jeff Danziger

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
November 7, 2012

'When we wake up tomorrow, we have a huge fight
on our hands.

'The same corporations and right-wing billionaires
who spent record amounts trying to buy the election
for Mitt Romney have their priorities, and they're
already spending millions more to bully Congress
into falling into line behind them. They're mobilizing
right now -- starting tonight.

'Washington, D.C. is going to start talking about
extending the Bush tax cuts for the richest 2% and
turning the focus back to the deficit again. And
there's a very real danger that cuts to Medicare,
Medicaid, Social Security, and other programs
Americans rely on will be on the table. Those cuts
would affect all of us-- the very people that elected
President Obama, Vice President Biden, and other
working family candidates tonight.

'So it's up to us to fight like hell for the working
people in our communities. We need to work to
make sure the rich pay their fair share, there are no
cuts to our benefits, and programs that safeguard
our country's future -- like Medicare, Medicaid, and
Social Security -- are safe for generations to come.

'Please take a moment to sign the petition, telling
Congress to protect working families, and let the
Bush tax cuts for the top 2% expire.
[http://tinyurl.com/9w9esuj]

'Then, go celebrate, hug someone, and look for more
from us very soon about the fight of our lives.'

Richard Trumka
President, AFL-CIO
November 6, 2012

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/a7tnhym
What Percent?
David Fitzsimmons - Arizona Star

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
November 8, 2012

'Let's not fall for what I call "ham and egg" justice.
When it's time for breakfast, the farmer calls for
"shared sacrifice." But if the hen gives up an egg,
and the pig gives up a leg, that's not balanced.
Instead of cutting help for sick kids, why don't we
tax Wall Street speculation? Why not institute a
carbon tax that would also save our planet, or end
subsidies for big oil and handouts to Halliburton, or
close loopholes for tax-dodging corporations... and
then put that money to work rebuilding America?

'The President won a hard-fought victory promising
to make the wealthiest pay their fair share. Vice
President Biden said he could "guarantee" no
changes in Social Security. But we've learned they
can't create change on their own.

'The most important thing is that we don't rest now.

'... America is not broke. America is being robbed.
Winning an election is just the first step to stopping
it. '

Van Jones
Rebuild the Dream
November 8, 2012
http://www.rebuildthedream.com/

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/a3p84gb
Election Night
Bennett - Chattanooga Times Free Press

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
November 9, 2012

'So President Obama has to make a decision,
almost immediately, about how to deal with
continuing Republican obstruction. How far should
he go in accommodating the G.O.P.'s demands?

'My answer is, not far at all. Mr. Obama should hang
tough, declaring himself willing, if necessary, to hold
his ground even at the cost of letting his opponents
inflict damage on a still-shaky economy. And this is
definitely no time to negotiate a "grand bargain" on
the budget that snatches defeat from the jaws of
victory. '

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
November 9, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/cqepyvx

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/b39osp9
Bipartisanship
Tom Toles - Washington Post

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
November 10, 2012

'...I went three times to try to engage in early voting.
The first two times the line was out the building and
I decided to return at a later date. On the third time,
I thought I had arrived early enough only to discover
that the line started well within the building. I was
on line for two hours, and this was early voting.
Around the USA, there were stories like that one -
people standing in line for one to seven hours in
order to vote.

'In effect, what we saw was a counter-attack by the
African American and Latino electorate against
those who would attempt to disenfranchise us. The
obvious intent to eliminate African American and
Latino voters, rather than scaring us into
submission and docility, energized us to turn out in
record numbers. There are many lessons there and
one is that we can actually overwhelm the other side
by sheer numbers and audacity.'

Bill Fletcher, Jr.
BlackCommentator.com
November 9, 2012