From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:33:19 -0500
550 Florida Nurses Join NNU

Posted By James Parks
November 16, 2010 @ 9:15 am
In Organizing & Bargaining

http://blog.aflcio.org/2010/11/16/550-florida-nurses-join-nnu/print/

The 550 registered nurses at Osceola Regional Medical Center
in Kissimmee, Fla., voted overwhelmingly for a voice in
patient care and dignity on the job last night by deciding to
join National Nurses Organizing Committee-Florida (NNOC-
Florida), an affiliate of National Nurses United (NNU [1]).

In an election conducted by the National Labor Relations
Board (NLRB), the nurses voted 92 percent in favor of joining
the union. The hospital is part of Hospital Corporation of
America (HCA), the nation’s largest hospital system. Osceola
is the first of several HCA hospitals in Florida where RNs
will be voting in the coming weeks on affiliating with NNOC-
Florida/NNU.

Sharon Bray, a labor and delivery nurse at Osceola, said:

    I became an RN to be a patient advocate, and through
    NNOC-Florida, Osceola RNs can truly put patients first.
    With the support of all our colleagues, we can work
    together to build nurse power and strengthen our voice in
    our hospital and beyond.

The Osceola RNs will next focus on choosing leaders to
represent them in contract talks. Their key issues include
nurse-to-patient staffing ratios, a patient care monitoring
committee chosen and run by direct care RNs and improved
health coverage and retirement benefits.

"What a monumental day for nurses and patients in Florida,"
said NNU Vice President Malinda Markowitz, who chairs NNU’s
HCA RN Council.

    HCA RNs are uniting across the country to win dramatic
    gains for patients and nurses that will strengthen the
    quality of care and protect all of our communities. We
    could not be more proud of our Florida pioneers at
    Osceola.