From:
Portside moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:56:53 -0400
Harassment in Science, Replicated

August 12, 2014
By Christie Aschwanden
New York Times (August 11, 2014)

When women are dissuaded or excluded from even a handful of opportunities, the loss to science is enormous.

As an undergraduate student in biology, I spent several weeks in Costa Rica one summer with an older graduate student on a research project deep in the cloud forest. It was just the two of us, and upon arriving at our site, I discovered that he had arranged a single room for us, one bed.
Mortified but afraid of being labeled prudish or difficult, I made no fuss. I took the lodge owner aside the next day and requested my own bed. The problem ended there, and my graduate student boss never made any physical advances.
Reflecting back, I’m struck by how ill equipped I was to deal with this kind of situation, especially at 19. My university undoubtedly had a harassment policy, but such resources were thousands of miles away. I was alone in a foreign country and had never received any training on my rights and resources in the field.
I’d forgotten about this experience from two decades ago until I read a report published July 16 in the journal PLOS One. Kathryn Clancy, an anthropologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and three colleagues used email and social media to invite scientists to fill out an online questionnaire about their experiences with harassment and assault at field sites; they received 666 responses, three quarters of them from women, from 32 disciplines, including anthropology, archaeology, biology and geology.
Read more here

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/2014-08-12/harassment-science-replicated
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org