From:
Portside <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2018 20:20:05 -0400

 		 [Some 463 parents were deported without their children — and the
government isn’t even trying to reunite them — and the
administration said it doesn’t know the identities of the parents of
40 children.] [https://portside.org/]

 NO, THE GOVERNMENT DID NOT MAKE THE DEADLINE TO REUNIFY CHILDREN WITH
THEIR PARENTS
[https://portside.org/2018-07-27/no-government-did-not-make-deadline-reunify-children-their-parents]

 Stacy Sullivan
 July 26, 2018
ACLU
[https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/no-government-did-not-make-deadline-reunify]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-27/no-government-did-not-make-deadline-reunify-children-their-parents]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-27/no-government-did-not-make-deadline-reunify-children-their-parents]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=No%2C%20the%20Government%20Did%20Not%20Make%20the%20Deadline%20to%20Reunify%20Children%20With%20Their%20Parents&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-27/no-government-did-not-make-deadline-reunify-children-their-parents]

 _ Some 463 parents were deported without their children — and the
government isn’t even trying to reunite them — and the
administration said it doesn’t know the identities of the parents of
40 children. _

 ,

The Trump administration claimed in court filings Thursday evening
that it had met the court-ordered July 26 deadline to reunite the
children it wrongfully separated from their parents.

It did no such thing.

In fact, what the government did was reunite upwards of 1,500 children
it deemed eligible for reunification and whose parents it could find.
Hundreds of children were not reunited for a variety of reasons. Some
463 parents were deported without their children — and the
government isn’t even trying to reunite them — and the
administration said it doesn’t know the identities of the parents of
40 children.

What’s worse, until last Friday, the government did not provide the
ACLU with lists of the most vulnerable families in our class --- the
ones who are at risk of imminent deportation. The lack of
notification is particularly egregious because the Trump
administration has said that it plans to immediately deport all of the
parents who have final deportation orders once they are reunified,
even though evidence suggests that many of those parents may have
mistakenly given up their asylum claims. We and our allies are now
working to get these families connected with lawyers, so that they can
make decisions based on sound advice, rather than misleading or
confusing information from immigration officers.

In addition, the government provided lists claiming that 206 parents
waived their right to be reunified with their children by either
signing waivers or providing oral consent. The majority of these
parents are now subject to immediate deportation. But on Tuesday, we
filed a slew of affidavits
[https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/ms-l-v-ice-plaintiffs-reply-support-motion-stay-removal] showing
that many of these parents desperately want their children back and
did not realize they had relinquished their right to reunification.

CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE: STOP SPEAKER RYAN'S ANTI-IMMIGRANT BILL
[https://www.aclu.org/issues/stop-speaker-ryans-anti-immigrant-bill?ms_aff=NAT&initms_aff=NAT&ms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&initms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&ms_chan=web&initms_chan=web]

 [https://www.aclu.org/issues/stop-speaker-ryans-anti-immigrant-bill?ms_aff=NAT&initms_aff=NAT&ms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&initms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&ms_chan=web&initms_chan=web]

CALL NOW
[https://www.aclu.org/issues/stop-speaker-ryans-anti-immigrant-bill?ms_aff=NAT&initms_aff=NAT&ms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&initms=180621_immigrantrights_familyseparation&ms_chan=web&initms_chan=web]

In some cases, the parents said the forms were not explained to them
and that they felt pressured to sign. Some were not provided
translation in their native languages and had no idea what they had
signed. One said he was told that signing the form was the only way to
prevent his daughter from being sent back to Guatemala.

Because of the confusion, the ACLU has asked the court to block any
deportations for seven days after we are notified of reunification so
that we can make sure families have the opportunity to meet with
lawyers, are fully apprised of their options, and can make the
decision that is best for them.

In our filing
[https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/ms-l-v-ice-status-report] Thursday
evening, we also asked the government to:

	* Provide all information possible on parents who were deported
without their children so we can begin tracking them down. We want to
make sure that all of them can be reunited with their children or
make an informed decision to leave their children in the United
States. If any of them were improperly deported, we believe they
should be brought back to the United States.
 	* Explain in detail what efforts are being undertaken to locate and
make contact with the parents the government can’t find. That there
are 40 children with no parental information is profoundly disturbing,
and we want to know how this could have happened and what is being
done to locate them.
 	* Provide a detailed list of the reasons parents were deemed
ineligible for reunification with their children. The government has
alleged that some of them have criminal histories and a variety of
other factors, but it has not provided specific information about the
crime. While we agree that some crimes may make a parent unfit to be
reunited with his or her child, clearly not all crimes do, so we need
the details.

We will be back in court in San Diego on Friday afternoon. Rest
assured: We expect this will be one of many more appearances before
all of the families the government wrongfully separated are reunited.

	* 1 view