Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:43:40 -0400
Oppose the War Funding - National Call-in Days

Grassroots Opposition to War Funding Reaches Boiling
Point!

National Call-In Days July 26-28

The House of Representatives will be voting again this
week on the White House request for $33.5 billion of
new funding for the war in Afghanistan.

United for Peace and Justice is
joining together with Peace Action, CODEPINK, Friends
Committee on National Legislation, Peace and Justice
Resource Center, Campaign for Peace and Democracy,
Historians Against the War, Just Foreign Policy,
Progressive Democrats of America and US Labor Against
the War in calling upon Congressional Representatives
to vote against  the White House request for $33.5
billion in new  funds for the war in Afghanistan.

Congressional Switchboard: 1-888-493-5443 toll-free (We
are counting calls)

Three weeks ago, 162 members of the House supported an
Amendment calling for a time-table for withdrawal.
100 members of the House supported an amendment offered
by Rep. Barbara Lee limiting the use of the funds for
security and to actually begin the withdrawal of
troops.

Now the House is being asked to approve funding without
a time-table or any plan for withdrawal.  Nine years
into the war, the Administration lacks clear goals, a
coherent strategy or any "exit plan."  Meanwhile
soldiers and civilians keep dying and so far $321
billion dollars have been being squandered in an
irrational enterprise.  We need to insist that elected
officials act responsibly by refusing to fund this war
without end.

Most commonly asked question: "Why should I bother?
They don't listen anyway?" Members of Congress are
listening. That's why these amendments received so many
votes. That's the reason growing numbers are willing to
speak out in opposition. The more "No" votes we achieve
this week--the closer we come to bringing this tragic
war to a close...

Phone

Call the Congressional Switchboard:1-888-493-5443 early
this week and after you hang up please forward this
message to your friends.

Members of Congress will be back in their districts
during August. Many will be campaigning for
re-election. This is a valuable time to partner with
local domestic needs groups fighting against cut-backs.
 Conduct vigils, send delegations or engage in direct
action around a shared desire to fund our communities,
not endless war. In the Fall Congress will be asked to
approve another $160 billion war funding for FY2011.
Let's make them feel the heat NOW!

Help us continue to do this critical work: Make a
donation to UFPJ today.

UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE www.unitedforpeace.org |
212-868-5545 PO Box 607; Times Square Station; New
York, NY 10108

===

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]