From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:34:47 -0500
 Historic Online March Celebrates Roe v. Wade

 NATIONAL ONLINE MARCH SUPPORTS REPRODUCTIVE JUSTICE / HEALTH
 / RIGHTS

 Posted to portside by Ellen Shaffer.

 SAN FRANCISCO, CA - January 22, 2012- Americans in support
 of reproductive justice, health and rights are having our
 say on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade without having to take
 a plane, bus or car. With just one click on their computers,
 mobile phones or iPads, marchers from Hawaii to Maine are
 linking up in a national online march targeting Congress,
 governors and state legislatures.

 The marchers represent a partnership of more than 50
 organizations and groups across the country, including
 coordinating sponsors Trust Women/Silver Ribbon Campaign and
 MoveOn, as well as Planned Parenthood, NARAL, People for the
 American Way, and National Nurses United. They intend to
 send a clear message to their congressional and state
 lawmakers:  hands off women's rights.

 "The online march is building the momentum and solidarity we
 need for the year ahead," says Ellen Shaffer, PhD, co-
 director of the San Francisco-based Trust Women /Silver
 Ribbon Campaign. "Many women are angry that our health is
 being used as a political football. We need Congress and the
 states to fix the economy and to fund vital basic health
 services, that are especially critical for low-income women,
 and to quit interfering with our private decisions about our
 reproductive health. This online march is our way of saying
 we will stand up and be counted for reproductive justice.

 According to Shaffer, 2011 was a record year for legislative
 assaults to restrict access to reproductive health care,
 including 135 provisions in at least 36 states. And Shaffer
 says there were 92 measures restricting access to abortion.
 In response, the online marchers will send messages to
 members of Congress, state legislators and governors to
 underscore that most Americans trust women to decide what's
 best for themselves and their families.

 "As a pediatrician who specializes in adolescent medicine
 and as a mother, I am concerned and outraged that women are
 being demonized and targeted for decisions that should be
 personal and private," said Sophia Yen, M.D., a co-founder
 of the Silver Ribbon Campaign. "I want to insure that my
 patients and my own daughters continue to enjoy the right to
 plan their families and pursue their career goals. For
 women, that means protecting and expanding reproductive
 rights. I hope that many other medical professionals across
 the U.S. will join me in this groundbreaking action," says
 Dr. Yen.

 The national online march is taking place from January 20 -
27, 2012, during Trust Women Week, in conjunction with the
celebration of the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the
landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.
Marchers can send one of six messages to be delivered
directly to lawmakers: "I trust women and I vote;"
"Reproductive rights are human rights;" "Keep abortion safe
and legal, make it accessible and affordable;" "Stand up and
be counted for reproductive justice;" "We are the 99%. Fix
the economy, and stop the attacks on women's health;" and
"Contraception Is Prevention." The online march also includes
a real-time map showing the location of the marchers. The
march site and online map are developed by MoveOn.

 To link to the online march, click here.
 http://pol.moveon.org/virtualmarch_trust_women/action.html?r
 c=TWSR&utm_campaign=f7bff26225-
 online_march1_20_2012&utm_source=
 Women%2527s%20Media&utm_medium=email

 For more information about the online march and how to
 participate, visit the Trust Women/Silver Ribbon Campaign.
 To see the group's pro- choice banners:
 https://plus.google.com/photos/117112844015109646967/albums/ 5690728298502068993?banner=pwa