PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

November 2017, Week 3

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:01:30 -0500
Portside Digest -

          Can My Children Be Friends with White People?

          November 15, 2017

          As against our gauzy national hopes, I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible. When they ask, I will teach my sons that their beautiful hue is a fault line. Spare me platitudes of how we are all the same on the inside. I first have to keep my boys safe, and so I will teach them before the world shows them this particular brand of rending, violent, often fatal betrayal.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/can-my-children-be-friends-white-people

          What to Black People is the National Anthem?

          November 15, 2017

          On Veterans day, the idea of the veteran was touted by POTUS and his supporters as an emotional counterweight to the protesting athletes. Dr. Lisa Brock reminds us that African Americans have historically had a conflictual relationship with US militarism.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/what-black-people-national-anthem

          Year One: When Black Women Lead

          November 15, 2017

          Black women have long known that America’s destiny is inseparable from how it treats them and the nation ignores this truth at its peril.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/year-one-when-black-women-lead

          The Death of Christianity in the U.S.

          November 15, 2017

          As a young man, I walked down the sawdust aisle at a Southern Baptist church and gave my heart to Jesus. But I can no longer allow my name to be tarnished by that political party masquerading as Christian.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/death-christianity-us

          Racism May Have Gotten Us Into This Mess, But Identity Politics Can’t Get Us Out

          November 15, 2017

          It’s often argued that centering economics means abandoning racial or other identity groups that have fought hard for well-deserved political leverage.  But political messaging is not a zero-sum game. The question is not “identity politics or economic justice,” but how to adopt a complementary union of the two.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/racism-may-have-gotten-us-mess-identity-politics-can%E2%80%99t-get-us-out

          Media Bits and Bytes - Chopping Block Edition

          November 15, 2017

          CNN must go?; Their hearts belong to data; Disney vs.LAT; Harveys everywhere; Coming for your children; Teen Vogue lives… sort of

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/media-bits-and-bytes-chopping-block-edition

          50 Years On, Steinbeck’s Classic Still Packs a Punch

          November 15, 2017

          This year marks the 50th anniversary of John Steinbeck’s great mythic novel of alienation under US capitalism, Of Mice and Men. The story is of lonesome labourers, reeling from the Great Depression, wandering from farm to farm seeking respite from their endless oppression.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/50-years-steinbeck%E2%80%99s-classic-still-packs-punch

          Yanis Varoufakis’s Doomed Fight Against Austerity

          November 15, 2017

          This volume is an insider's account of Greece's recent struggle to preserve the general welfare of its people in the fact of the belt-tighening demands of the managers of the international financial system. Reviewer Rensin offers an assessment.

          https://portside.org/2017-11-15/yanis-varoufakis%E2%80%99s-doomed-fight-against-austerity

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org