PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

December 2016, Week 3

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2016 06:01:23 -0500
Portside Digest -

          Capitalism, Democracy, and Du Bois’s Two Proletariats

          December 14, 2016

          What could emerge from an understanding of the struggle between the two proletariats and its connection to US democracy and institutions is a more powerful and forward-looking narrative of class and race than either a utopian universalist liberalism or a narrow-minded working class incapable of advancing democracy.

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/capitalism-democracy-and-du-bois%E2%80%99s-two-proletariats

          Media Have Misjudged Fascists Before

          December 14, 2016

          Not long before Mussolini and Hitler came to power, much of the US press believed that power would "moderate" them, or considered them something of a joke. Are we seeing similar mistakes today?

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/media-have-misjudged-fascists

          After a Crime, the Price of a Second Chance

          December 14, 2016

          Diversion is intended to relieve overburdened courts and crowded jails, and to spare low-risk offenders from the devastating consequences of a criminal record. But an examination by The New York Times found that in many places, only people with money could afford a second chance. Though diversion was introduced as a money-saving reform, some jurisdictions quickly turned it into a source of revenue.

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/after-crime-price-second-chance

          Ralph Ellison&#039;s &quot;Invisible Man&quot; as a Parable of Our Time

          December 14, 2016

          “Invisible Man” ends with the protagonist being chased by policemen during a riot in Harlem, and falling into a manhole in the middle of the street. The police put the cover of the manhole back in place, trapping the narrator underground. “I’m an invisible man and it placed me in a hole—or showed me the hole I was in, if you will—and I reluctantly accepted the fact,” he says.

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/ralph-ellisons-invisible-man-parable-our-time

          Stolen People On Stolen Land: Standing Rock and Black Liberation

          December 14, 2016

          What does solidarity look like between Black and Indigenous people?

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/stolen-people-stolen-land-standing-rock-and-black-liberation

          The Hidden Powers Andy Puzder Would Hold at the Department of Labor

          December 14, 2016

          The secretary of labor isn’t exactly the sexiest job in the government. But president-elect Donald Trump’s pick of Andy Puzder, a fast-food restaurant CEO, could have profound effects that touch millions of U.S. workers and companies almost immediately.

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/hidden-powers-andy-puzder-would-hold-department-labor

          The Underground Railroad

          December 14, 2016

          In this novel, Whitehead reimagines both slavery and the resistance to it.

          https://portside.org/2016-12-14/underground-railroad

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org