PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

August 2016, Week 2

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 06:01:50 -0400
Portside Digest -

          Breaking the Camouflage Wall of Silence When AFRICOM Evaluates Itself, the News Is Grim

          August 12, 2016

          In an era of too-big-to fail generals, an age in which top commanders from winless wars retire to take prominent posts at influential institutions and cash in with cushy jobs on corporate boards, AFRICOM chiefs have faced neither hard questions nor repercussions for the deteriorating situation.  (Similar records -- heavy on setbacks, short on victories -- have been produced by Washington’s war chiefs in Afghanistan and Iraq for the past 15 years...)

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/breaking-camouflage-wall-silence-when-africom-evaluates-itself-news-grim

          9 Critical Points on Anti-Blackness, Immigration and Why Latinxs Must Shut It Down Too

          August 12, 2016

          Immigrant rights leaders in the U.S. show how to concretely build solidarity between the immigrant rights and Black Lives Matter movements.

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/9-critical-points-anti-blackness-immigration-and-why-latinxs-must-shut-it-down-too

          New Film &quot;Love and Solidarity&quot;, Non-violence for Systemic Change

          August 12, 2016

          Love and Solidarity, a new film directed by Mike Honey and co-produced with film maker Errol Webber.  Non-violence is NOT passive, but is militant and effective theory and practice. Portside Moderator Will Jones interviews Honey about the film and highly respected, long time RELIGIOUS LEADER, organizer, and educator James Lawson.

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/new-film-love-and-solidarity-non-violence-systemic-change

          Thinking About the Election

          August 12, 2016

          As the U.S. election season proceeds, there is contro-versy, confusion, consternation, and sometimes re-crimination. Below, in a question and answer format, we present our views on these matters, hoping to contribute to the discussion.

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/thinking-about-election

          Dream Defenders Statement on the Condemnation of M4BL Platform by Some Pro-Israel Groups

          August 12, 2016

          Those who previously claimed to be allies of the Black lives matter movement have shown us that they are comfortable with our resistance so long as it fits within particular confines. It is convenient to endorse black lives matter when it benefits you. And as long as we stay silent about Israeli apartheid, they will "stand" with Black liberation in the US. Now that our movement has taken a stand against all forms of white supremacy...Black lives no longer matter.

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/dream-defenders-statement-condemnation-m4bl-platform-some-pro-israel-groups

          Asylum

          August 12, 2016

          An antidote to anti-immigrant sentiment, Seattle poet Jed Myers generously welcomes newcomers to this nation of immigrants, offering empathy and greeting from our ancestors: "what we’ve secured/only a few breaths before..."

          https://portside.org/2016-08-12/asylum

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org