PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

January 2016, Week 2

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 06:02:53 -0500
Portside Digest -

          The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: 13 Top Healthcare Stories of 2015

          January 5, 2016

          These stories illustrate the powerful social forces and corporate interests shaping healthcare policy. And they continue to inspire a healthcare justice movement that says that Obamacare is not enough and that the time has come to finish the job and make healthcare a right for everyone in America.

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/good-bad-and-ugly-13-top-healthcare-stories-2015

          How Abusive Police Practices Target Women of Color - and What Women Are Doing About It

          January 5, 2016

          The transformation of police practices in this country cannot happen without a national reckoning regarding the ways both white supremacy and misogyny have shaped and continue to influence law enforcement practices in the United States.

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/how-abusive-police-practices-target-women-color-and-what-women-are-doing-about-it

          Brazil Rejects Israeli Ambassador

          January 5, 2016

          BDS news from Brazil and South Africa!

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/brazil-rejects-israeli-ambassador

          America Revisits the Dark Side Candidates Compete to Promise the Most Torture and Slaughter

          January 9, 2016

          You want war crimes? Post-9/11, Washington could have sported the logo: War Crimes "R" Us. If you want to understand what this sort of impunity means in terms of the politics of 2016, then read on.

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/america-revisits-dark-side-candidates-compete-promise-most-torture-and-slaughter

          Chinese Railroad Workers

          January 5, 2016

          During the 1860's, Chinese laborers were brought in to help construct the first U.S. trans-continental railroad between the Atlantic & the Pacific coasts.  They worked long hours & were underpaid, and most of the time in extreme weather conditions.  Many lost their lives in this historic epic, but their contributions were buried & their history untold.

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/chinese-railroad-workers

          Where Did the OUR Walmart Campaign Go Wrong?

          January 5, 2016

          Within the labor movement, we never want to share publicly critiques of work to be utilized by our class enemies—in this case, Walmart. I appreciated the energy and excitement among participants in the OUR Walmart campaign and observers who saw it as a potential labor renaissance.  I didn't want to be perceived as an old crank pissing on a new parade that didn't fit my measure of what worker organizing should be. But my reticence has now been overridden.

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/where-did-our-walmart-campaign-go-wrong

          How coffee loves us back

          January 11, 2016

          Recent research at Harvard is just part of an emerging picture of coffee as a potentially powerful elixir against a range of ailments, from cancer to cavities

          https://portside.org/2016-01-11/how-coffee-loves-us-back

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org