PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

August 2015, Week 1

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 06:02:17 -0400
Portside Digest -

          How Digital Media Has Changed Black Activism: An Interview with Professor Cathy Cohen

          August 5, 2015

          Author and professor of political science at the University of Chicago and founder of the Black Youth Project, Cathy Cohen explains the growing role of hashtags in political discussion and what digital media can and can't do for activists.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/how-digital-media-has-changed-black-activism-interview-professor-cathy-cohen

          Why My Fellow Adjuncts and I Decided To Form A Union at Our Community College

          August 5, 2015

          The barriers to organizing adjuncts are real and difficult to overcome. We often don’t know our coworkers, we are decentralized and our lack of security creates a pervasive fear among adjuncts. However, the only way that we will be able to fight for increased pay, greater job security and a voice in the college is by working collectively.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/why-my-fellow-adjuncts-and-i-decided-form-union-our-community-college

          Restoring Pell Grants for Prisoners: Reversing a 20-Year Ban

          August 5, 2015

          It’s been 20 years since federal Pell Grants were revoked from prisons during the tough-on-crime heyday of the 1990s, amid a bipartisan political fervor that helped transform U.S. prisons from a corrections system to a punishment business. Two decades later, mass incarceration is a runaway train, and America imprisons so many more people than any other country that it’s hard to even compare the thing in one chart.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/restoring-pell-grants-prisoners-reversing-20-year-ban

          How To Really Defend Planned Parenthood

          August 5, 2015

          There are two reasons abortion rights activists have been boxed in. One is that we’ve been reactive rather than proactive. The second reason we’re stuck in a defensive mode is that too many pro-choice people are way too quiet.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/how-really-defend-planned-parenthood

          Urban Planning in the Era of New Jim Crow

          August 5, 2015

          As a discipline, urban planning is dedicated to understanding and addressing the complex problems of the city. Yet public safety is rarely taken up as a sphere of concern. Rather than rationalizing people’s failed life outcomes in a way that blames individuals for poor life choices, urban planners must help hold society accountable for past failures to construct real opportunity structures.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/urban-planning-era-new-jim-crow

          Netflix Offers New Parents Up To A Year Of Parental Leave

          August 5, 2015

          Netflix offers its employees as much as one year of paid time off to new mothers and fathers.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/netflix-offers-new-parents-year-parental-leave

          Love Control: The Hidden History of Wonder Woman

          August 6, 2015

          The study of comic books has emerged in the last decade or so as a serious academic discipline. And it's about time. It's not news to many people that the stories and art found in these little magazines are not only entertaining; they also contain interesting, and sometimes profound, social content. Kent Worcester looks at three new books on Wonder Woman, the comic that emerged during World War II and was an early harbinger of feminist ideas.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-06/love-control-hidden-history-wonder-woman

          These Scholars Have Been Pointing Out Atticus Finch&#039;s Racism for Years

          August 5, 2015

          One of the biggest literary stories of the summer has been the controversy over To Kill a Mockingbird author Harper Lee's new novel, Go Set a Watchman. It turns out To Kill a Mockingbird hero Atticus Finch, as portrayed in this new book, was far more racist than fans of Lee's earlier novel remember. Should they have been surprised? Laura Marsh talks to several scholars who say Finch's racism was here all along, if readers had only taken the care to look.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-05/these-scholars-have-been-pointing-out-atticus-finchs-racism-years

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org