PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

April 2016, Week 3

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2016 06:02:45 -0400
Portside Digest -

          Friday Nite Videos -- April 15, 2016

          April 15, 2016

          Berning Ted and Donald on 'NY Values.' Burning Issues: The Money Hidden In Shell Companies. Street Music | Hotel California. The Dirtiest Trade Deal And What's In It. "Because I’m Latino, I can’t have money?" Kids on Race.

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/friday-nite-videos-april-15-2016

          Bernie Sanders Stresses &#039;Common Good&#039; in Vatican Attack on Capitalism

          April 15, 2016

          Bernie Sanders delivered one of his most sweeping indictments of modern capitalism and unchecked market forces on Friday at an address at the Vatican. He called for a focus on "the common good" as a moral imperative, drawing on the teachings of the Catholic Church for insights into the plight of the most vulnerable members of society.

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/bernie-sanders-stresses-common-good-vatican-attack-capitalism

          And a Union

          April 15, 2016

          After Occupy in 2011, and the wave of fast-food strikes the following year in New York City, the movement to raise wages took a new turn and a bolder stance: $15 an hour and a union. When the campaign first began, that pay demand seemed like a pipe dream. Yet the call for $15 resonated. Now, the movement has scored victories in two of the biggest states in the country.

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/and-union

          How Politics Played a Major Role in the Signing of Jackie Robinson

          April 15, 2016

          Branch Rickey certainly deserves credit for confronting his fellow owners and their racist attitudes by signing Jackie Robinson and, in doing so, advancing the cause of civil rights. However, there is more to this story than Rickey and Robinson. In fact, the desegregation of baseball came after a decade-long campaign by black and left wing journalists and activists.

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/how-politics-played-major-role-signing-jackie-robinson

          What I Learned From Tickling Apes

          April 15, 2016

          Science nowadays often starts from the assumption of continuity between humans and animals, while shifting the burden of proof to those who insist on differences. Anyone who asks me to believe that a tickled ape, who almost chokes on his hoarse giggles, is in a different state of mind than a tickled human child has his work cut out for him.

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/what-i-learned-tickling-apes

          To be a Mexican

          April 15, 2016

          The Mexican-born Texas poet Hugo Esteban Rodriguez Castañeda suggests a Latino identity based on hardship, danger, fear, but also an enduring spirit of survival that is as indigenous as el huizache--the acacia tree--which also happens to be the name of "The Magazine of Latino Literature."

          https://portside.org/2016-04-15/be-mexican

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org