PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

February 2016, Week 1

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2016 06:02:43 -0500
Portside Digest -

          Nineteen States Get Failing Grades for Reproductive Health

          January 23, 2016

          Texas is just one of 19 states to receive a failing grade on reproductive health according to a new report from the Population Institute, a nonprofit that provides family planning education.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/nineteen-states-get-failing-grades-reproductive-health

          Canoas: A Government of, for and by the People

          January 23, 2016

          Here in the states, we know what it means to see our democratic rights attacked. But do we have a vision of what an expansion of democracy and popular participation in government might look like?

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/canoas-government-and-people

          Demand Airbnb Stop Listing Rentals in Israeli Settlements

          January 23, 2016

          Did you hear all the buzz around Airbnb, the online accommodation service, listing homes in illegal Israeli settlements for people to rent?

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/demand-airbnb-stop-listing-rentals-israeli-settlements

          Why the B-52 Failed: Dispatch from Hanoi

          January 23, 2016

          On the plane to Hanoi last December, I opened my copy of the NYT to find an article by Dave Philipps: "After 60 Years, B-52's Still Dominate the U.S. Fleet." The piece stuck with me as I traveled through north Vietnam, trying to unravel U.S. amnesia towards the people of this country and what they call "the American war." Philipps ends with a quote from a former South Vietnamese Navy officer, Phuoc Luong.  "In Vietnam we didn't use it (B-52s) enough. That's why we lost."

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/why-b-52-failed-dispatch-hanoi

          End All U.S. Support for the Government of Saudi Arabia Sign-On Statement by the Campaign for Peace and Democracy January 15, 2016

          January 28, 2016

          If you wish to add your name to the statement, see the emerging list of signers and their affiliations, and/or make a tax-deductible donation to publicize the statement, please go to the Campaign for Peace and Democracy website.  Individuals having difficulty signing on should contact CPD directly at [log in to unmask]; organizations that wish to endorse the statement should also contact CPD by email.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/end-all-us-support-government-saudi-arabia-sign-statement-campaign-peace-and-democracy

          Global Sweatshops, Solidarity and the Bangladesh Breakthrough

          February 1, 2016

          After decades of campaigns, the global movement against sweatshops had a few modest (but important) victories. However, a recent breakthrough in Bangladesh in encouraging, and may show the way for making more dramatic changes in the garment industry.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/global-sweatshops-solidarity-and-bangladesh-breakthrough

          Guacamole and the Super Bowl

          February 1, 2016

          Guacamole and the Super Bowl: this off-season penchant for guacamole is an industry creation.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-01/guacamole-and-super-bowl

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org