PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

February 2016, Week 1

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2016 06:03:30 -0500
Portside Digest -

          My 40 Years in Prison

          February 6, 2016

          I believe that my incarceration, the constitutional violations in my case, and the government misconduct in prosecuting my case are issues far more important than just my life or freedom. I feel that each of you who have fought for my freedom have been a part of the greater struggle of Native Peoples — for Treaty rights, sovereignty, and our very survival. If I should be called home, please don’t give up on our struggle.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-06/my-40-years-prison

          The French Justice Minister’s Resignation and the “Droit Du Sol”

          February 6, 2016

          French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira resigned January 27 to protest President Francois Hollande’s new anti-terrorism law that strips those with dual nationality of their French citizenship if convicted of terrorism. Taubira, who was born in French Guiana, says this divides French citizens into two categories with different rights. Taubira, the target of numerous racist and misogynist attacks, played a critical role in the passage of France’s same-sex marriage law.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-06/french-justice-minister%E2%80%99s-resignation-and-%E2%80%9Cdroit-du-sol%E2%80%9D

          New England Fights Fracked Gas Pipeline

          February 6, 2016

          In a letter submitted into the public record at the DPU, Deerfield states its Board of Health has forbidden within the town all activities of Kinder Morgan and will enforce this order. Anyone entering onto private properties, without permission from the property owners, for activities related to the proposed natural gas pipeline will be arrested for trespassing, the Select Board has warned.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-06/new-england-fights-fracked-gas-pipeline

          Union Membership Creeps Upward in the South

          February 6, 2016

          In the 13 Southern states, the number of workers belonging to unions grew from 2.2 million in 2014, or 5.2 percent of the workforce, to 2.4 million by the end of 2015, or 5.5 percent of Southern workers.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-06/union-membership-creeps-upward-south

          The Bernie Sanders Path to Victory in the South: African American Union Leaders

          February 6, 2016

          Polling shows that as more voters get to know Sanders that his support increases. A July 2015, Washington Post ABC-News poll showed that only 28% of voters of color approved of Bernie Sanders, but a poll taken last month showed that 51% of voters of color now approve of Bernie Sanders.

          https://portside.org/2016-02-06/bernie-sanders-path-victory-south-african-american-union-leaders

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org