PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT Archives

December 2015, Week 2

PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

From:
Portside Snapshot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2015 06:03:48 -0500
Portside Digest -

          Death Penalty Dysfunction in 2015

          December 13, 2015

          2015 was still a wretched and messy year as far as the death penalty was concerned, one that did much to undermine our country’s vaunted claims to “evolving standards of decency.”

          https://portside.org/2015-12-14/death-penalty-dysfunction-2015

          Why Did Turkey Shoot Down That Russian Plane?

          December 13, 2015

          The whole November 24 incident looks increasingly suspicious, and one doesn’t have to be a paranoid Russian to think the takedown might have been an ambush.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-14/why-did-turkey-shoot-down-russian-plane

          Nearly 400 Anti-Abortion Bills Were Introduced Across the Country This Year

          December 13, 2015

          Forty-seven new restrictions passed, including clinic regulations, mandatory waiting periods, and measures aimed at Planned Parenthood.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-14/nearly-400-anti-abortion-bills-were-introduced-across-country-year

          The Secret History of One Hundred Years of Solitude

          December 13, 2015

          A half-century ago, Gabriel García Márquez, after yet another visit to the pawnshop, sent his now signature novel to his publisher. As Solitude turns 50, Paul Elie interviews Gabo’s longtime agent—just weeks before her death, at 85—and discovers the events that led to a literary revelation.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-14/secret-history-one-hundred-years-solitude

          Step up to Stop TB

          December 13, 2015

          Tuberculosis (TB) is winning a deadly race – this year it overtook HIV as the world’s deadliest infectious disease, killing 1.5 million people annually.  The findings of the Out of Step report into national TB policies. The report will be launched on December 2 at the 46th Union World Conference on Lung Health, Cape Town, South Africa.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-14/step-stop-tb

          Portside Helps Sustain You, Helps You Make the World Better, Because, Well, Capitalism Isn&#039;t Working

          December 13, 2015

          Portside's moderators every day contribute our best at finding and sharing the most interesting and useful material we can for the modest task of remaking the world into a fairer and more peaceful place. We expect no pay -- seeing the material on Portside read and forwarded and acted on is reward enough. Once a year, we appeal to readers to contribute some cash to sustain the Portside infrastructure that makes our work possible. Here's why...

          https://portside.org/2015-12-13/portside-helps-sustain-you-helps-you-make-world-better-because-well-capitalism-isnt

          Mexican, U.S. Workers Bring Employer Charges Under NAFTA

          December 13, 2015

          A transnational coalition of labor unions and community groups in the United States and Mexico charged multinational retail corporation Chedraui Commercial Group with violations of municipal, federal, and international labor law on November 12, filing unprecedented dual claims under compliant mechanisms embedded within the North American Free-Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

          https://portside.org/2015-12-13/mexican-us-workers-bring-employer-charges-under-nafta

          Geopolitical Fictions: Fantasy, Reality, and International Diplomacy on ‘Madam Secretary’

          December 13, 2015

          Most international political thrillers rely on the interplay of fantasy and reality, using real countries and familiar politics in the frame of a fictional narrative. What makes CBS’s Madam Secretary unusual, even within that context, is that its episodes actually borrow from recent international events, relationships, and histories. The show’s universe can often feel like a surreal look into a parallel reality.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-13/geopolitical-fictions-fantasy-reality-and-international-diplomacy-%E2%80%98madam-secretary%E2%80%99

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org