PORTSIDE  February 2012, Week 3

PORTSIDE February 2012, Week 3

Machinists Partner With National Heathcare Union

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:34:36 -0500

National Union of Healthcare Workers

NUHW Bulletin
February 21, 2012

700,000 Members Of The International Association of
Machinists Partner With NUHW

Three years ago, NUHW was established to advance the
vision of a new national movement of healthcare
workers, united in an organization that would put
members in control of their own future, refuse to
settle for less than what caregivers and patients
deserve, and transform the labor movement in the
healthcare industry and beyond.

Today, we are very proud to announce a new milestone in
fulfilling that vision.

NUHW and the International Association of Machinists
and Aerospace Workers (IAM) have reached agreement to
pursue a formal relationship between our two unions and
to work toward a potential future affiliation. Read our
joint press release here:

http://www.nuhw.org/media/2012/2/21/nuhw-and-international-association-of-machinists-form-partne.html

The agreement is the result of a process authorized in
November 2011 by NUHW's Executive Board to seek an AFL-
CIO affiliated partner union that placed a high value
on member democracy, on fighting for and protecting
workers' standards, and on organizing the unorganized,
and that would commit substantial resources to help
NUHW unite healthcare workers in California and across
the country.

In the IAM, we believe we have found the right partner
to enable our members to achieve the dream of building
a strong, democratic, and progressive healthcare
workers union.

In the short term, this agreement will place NUHW in an
even stronger position to win at the bargaining table
and to build strength throughout the workforce at
Kaiser Permanente. Immediately, the IAM will provide
resources to help NUHW members settle fair contracts
and to help 43,000 healthcare workers at Kaiser join
our union in an election later this year. The
relationship will also allow NUHW to work more closely
with other AFL-CIO unions.

In the long term, an affiliation would mean that the
IAM's 700,000 aerospace and transportation workers
would be united with NUHW and share fully in working to
achieve our goals of transforming the healthcare
industry and the labor movement, goals to which the
IAM's leaders are strongly committed.

Our common values and objectives are expressed clearly
by IAM General Vice President Gary Allen, when he
writes, "NUHW and its leadership have a strong,
national reputation for honesty, competence, integrity,
and militant, democratic, progressive trade unionism.
Their record of success in winning industry standard
contracts and organizing the unorganized speaks
volumes. For 124 years, the IAM has fought hard to
raise standards of living and bring forward the issues
of working families in North America. The IAM shares
NUHW's commitment to free, fair, and democratic
membership control of the collective bargaining
process. Now, by standing together, all of us are
stronger."

Over the coming months, NUHW and IAM members throughout
the state will be actively involved in determining the
shape of the potential affiliation, and any final
recommendation regarding affiliation will be put to a
vote of all NUHW members.

Today, we are more confident than ever that we will
realize our vision of a truly national healthcare
workers movement that values democracy and
transparency, and that is uncompromising in its
commitment to the highest standards for healthcare
workers and the highest quality care for our patients.

In Unity,

Sal Rosselli and John Borsos, National Union of
Healthcare Workers

Please visit our website at www.NUHW.org and feel free
to contact us with any questions at [log in to unmask]