PORTSIDE  January 2012, Week 3

PORTSIDE January 2012, Week 3

Friday Nite Videos -- January 20, 2012 (The United States of South Carolina)

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:21:11 -0500

[So there is this comedian who has a TV show where he
does political satire by playing a right wing blowhard
commentator on TV. And then he (the blowhard commentator
come to life like a cable Pinocchio) forms a real
political superpac and launches a real political
campaign for votes for the office of President of the
United States of South Carolina. And this makes for even
more absurd satire because blowhard Pinocchio is
indistinguishable from the other, real right wing
blowhards running for the same office. And then the
real, non-comical TV pundits are all confused about
whether the real politics are comical or whether the
satire is real politics.

A comedian isn't supposed to explain his jokes, but that
doesn't apply to a comedian's invented character. So
this comedian's invented character goes down to South
Carolina, where he is conducting a real political
campaign, and while he is giving a real political speech
(at the College of Charleston), he explains the joke:
"The pundits out there in the media have asked, 'Is this
all some joke?' We've all heard it, haven't we? And I
say if they are calling being allowed to form a superpac
and collect unlimited and untraceable amounts of money
from individuals, unions and corporations and spending
that money on political ads and personal enrichment and
then surrendering that superpac to one of my closest
friends while I explore a run for political office, if
that is a joke, then they are saying that our entire
finance system is a joke."

Jeez, guys. Did he really have to explain it to you? Now
that we've got that clear, let's just relax and enjoy
Stephen Colbert and James Taylor singing Carolina on My
Mind. And all those images interspersed with the
singing? Jeez, guys. Do I really have to explain it to
you? -- video mod.]

=====
11111

James Taylor & Stephen Colbert - "Carolina in My Mind"

James Taylor and Stephen remind the Colbert Nation to
attend the Rock Me Like A Herman Cain South Cain-olina
Primary Rally, with a rendition of "Carolina in My
Mind."

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/406411/january-19-2012/james-taylor---stephen-colbert----carolina-in-my-mind-
January 19, 2012
4:15

[And drop in and see the really-airing-in-South-Carolina
real political ads. -- video mod]
http://www.colbertsuperpac.com/episodeiv-anewhope/

=====
22222

Romney Parks Millions in Cayman Islands

By MATTHEW MOSK, BRIAN ROSS (@brianross) and MEGAN
CHUCHMACH. Although it is not apparent on his financial
disclosure form, Mitt Romney has millions of dollars of
his personal wealth in investment funds set up in the
Cayman Islands, a notorious Caribbean tax haven.
Nightline ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566#.Txn5qqVSTl4
January 18, 2012
5:13

=====
33333

The Day The LOLcats Died - #SOPA #PIPA Protest Song

SOPA and PIPA are two examples of recent legislation
that is lethal to the internet as we know it. The
internet rose up and is on its way to successfully
fighting them off, but we need to stay vigilant.

The only way to prevent legislation like this from being
passed in the future is to call your Congressmen and
tell them. Make it clear that you don't support SOPA,
you don't support PIPA, and that you won't support
future legislation that damages the stability of the
internet. Uploaded by LaughPong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-TV4jaCMk
January 17, 2012
3:04

=====
44444

Viral Video: Overturn Citizens United

Comedian Lee Camp ("Moment of Clarity") helps democracy
advocates take their message about the Supreme Court's
Citizens United decision "viral." Starring Katrina
vanden Heuvel of The Nation, Jim Hightower, Laura
Flanders, Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks, and Ben Cohen
and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry's. Cute cats,
babies, Mentos and More! Concept/Produced by Negin
Farsad, Justin Krebs, Vaguely Qualified Productions, and
Living Liberally. Exec produced by the We the People
Campaign. Uploaded by jeharrisda3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=xmZmI4eP7cc
January 9, 2012
2:26