PORTSIDE  December 2011, Week 2

PORTSIDE December 2011, Week 2

Worst Idea Ever? - U.S. 2020 Climate Treaty Proposal isn't a Delay - It's a Death Sentence

Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:46:15 -0500

Worst Idea Ever? - U.S. 2020 Climate Treaty Proposal isn't a
Delay - It's a Death Sentence

by Jamie Henn
350.org

December 7, 2011

http://www.350.org/
http://act.350.org/sign/durban-delay/

What if someone told you we should abandon all hope for
global climate action until 2020? Well, that's exactly the
proposal that the United States is pushing at the UN Climate
Talks taking place this week in Durban, South Africa. The
2020 delay might well be the worst idea ever.

Waiting nine years for climate action isn't just a delay,
it's a death sentence for communities on the front lines of
the climate crisis -- and it could slam the door on ever
getting carbon pollution levels below the safe upper limit
of 350 parts per million.

It's not too late to stop this delay from going through.
Over the next three days, our team of 350.org activists in
Durban will be working with our partners at Avaaz and allies
from around the world to isolate the United States -- and
build support for the African nations that are fighting for
real climate action. But it will take a massive grassroots
outcry to demonstrate that people everywhere are taking a
stand to prevent the United States negotiators from signing
away our future.

If we raise an international alarm before the talks end on
Friday, we can convince the US to get out of way of progress
and help unlock the global process that can lead to bold
climate action all around the world.

Click here to add your voice to a global call to action
we're delivering in Durban: www.350.org/durban

The climate talks in South Africa end in just 48 hours, and
it's vital that we ramp up the pressure now. To make sure
the US gets the message, our team on the ground here in
Durban will deliver your messages directly to the US
negotiating team at a high-impact event we're helping to
pull together on Friday. We can't say much more about it
now, but suffice to say our message will be unavoidable.

This year, the 350 network has shown that people power can
truly move the planet in the right direction. We mobilized
hundreds of thousands of people to push for climate action
in nearly every country on earth. We beat back the Keystone
XL pipeline when no one said it was possible. We took over
the radio waves to spread a message of hope and action on
the climate crisis. And through our actions, we helped keep
the hope of saving our planet -- and reaching 350 ppm --
alive.

The UN Climate Talks here in Durban aren't going to get us
back to 350 by themselves, but they can keep the option open
by making progress on a legally binding, international
framework to help nations make serious cuts in carbon
emissions. In 2012, we're going to need to do all we can to
challenge the fossil fuel companies that are the real
obstacles to progress. Breaking their stranglehold on our
governments is the only way to really unlock these
negotiations.

But right now, the most important thing we can do is keep
the possibility of a strong international climate deal alive
by pushing back on the United States negotiating team. In
recent months, President Obama has shown that he'll stand up
for the climate, but only if he's got a movement to back him
up. On the Keystone pipeline, he's been doing the right
thing by blocking Republican efforts to push it through --
now we need him to do the right thing on the international
stage.

There's no guarantee that we'll be successful, but we owe it
to our allies across the planet -- many of whom are already
feeling the impacts of climate change -- to resist the
chorus of cynics and keep hope alive. As Nelson Mandela
said, "It always seems impossible until it's done." The 350
network has pulled off the impossible before -- now's the
time to step up the pressure again.

Please add your voice today: www.350.org/durban

Let's do this,

Jamie Henn for the whole 350.org team

P.S. We have just 48 hours to build a huge groundswell of
pressure. Please help make it go viral with a few clicks on
Twitter and Facebook -- tag your popular friends, and post
it again and again.

[Jamie Henn co-founded 350.org, where he serves as
Communications Director and East Asia Coordinator. ]

===

More information and Links

Bloomberg: U.S. Delay on Climate Pact Spurs Backlash From EU
to Barbados
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-07/u-s-delay-on-climate-pact-spurs-backlash-from-eu-to-barbados.html

ThinkProgress: IEA's Bombshell Warning
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/11/09/364895/iea-global-warming-delaying-action-is-a-false-economy/

350.org is building a global movement to solve the climate
crisis. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up
for email alerts. You can help power our work by getting
involved locally.
What is 350? Go to our website to learn about the science
behind the movement. http://www.350.org/about/science

===

The UN climate talks in South Africa are in serious trouble.
The United States negotiating team just proposed a  delay on
global climate action until 2020 -- a potential death
sentence for the people at the front lines of the climate
crisis.

We have 48 hours to shift the US position and pressure them
to abandon their proposal for a 2020 delay -- add your name
today:

Sign on Now
www.350.org/durban