PORTSIDE  November 2011, Week 2

PORTSIDE November 2011, Week 2

Tidbits - November 10, 2011

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:53:46 -0500

Tidbits - November 10, 2011

* Net Neutrality Is Under Attack ... Again (Al Franken)
  (Jon Koerner)
* Re: Bahrain's Courageous Doctors (Maivân Clech Lâm)
* Re: Israel Will Not Attack Iran. Period. (Jack Radey)
* Comcast workers petition Labor Board for vote on
  collective bargaining (Rand Wilson)
* Re: Thousands Demonstrate Against the Tar Sands/Keystone
  Pipeline, Two articles (Ted Glick)
* Some history (video) - The Rich Will Live and the Poor
  Will Dive
* Re: REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons (Gene Glickman)
* Re: Iceland and Argentina (Daniel Morgan)
* Nov 17 - Out of the Park and into the Streets. 99% Day of
  Action -- Make Wall Street pay, restore Main Street

==========

* Net Neutrality Is Under Attack ... Again (Al Franken)

This issue has got to be connected to the Occupy movement.

It needs to be brought to the fore by Occupy now, this week,
to try to halt the attempt in the Senate to override the
FCC's Net Neutrality rules.

As Franken says, this is THE most important free speech
issue of this century.

The 1% have already gained control of election financing,
the broadcast media, and newspapers.  The internet is the
only remaining source of free information flow.  If this is
closed, the people will not stand a chance against the
corporate onslaught.  There will be no way for ideas that
are alternative to those that are created by and for the
benefit of powerful and wealthy corporations to get a
hearing in the public consciousness.

The owners of the big banks of Wall Street are one and the
same as the owners of big Telecom.   Verizon, AT&T, Comcast,
Charter, Southwestern Bell et al.  must be identified in the
public's mind as just another face of Wall Street -- and I
don't think this is yet widely recognized.   Many people
still have warm and cuddly feelings for the purveyors of
iPhones and other "smart" phones.   They are not your
friend.

Jon Koerner, Ph.D.
North Carolina

==========

* Re: Bahrain's Courageous Doctors

Scandalous behaviour of U.S. State Department and American
Medical Association needing broad dissemination.   Why is
this not in the papers?  M.

Maivân Clech Lâm

==========

* Re: Israel Will Not Attack Iran. Period.

When Cheney was foaming at the mouth and pushing as hard as
he could for an attack on Iran, General Peter Pace, Chairman
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, gave a briefing to the
President, Vice, and their security staff.  What he said was
fairly simple (even Bush got it after a few repetitions).
I'm paraphrasing, but its essence was, "Sir, No Sir!  We
cannot carry out this mission you are demanding we plan for.
It can't be done without going nuclear.  We do not have all
the targets even identified, and we cannot take them out
with conventional weapons.  As to the nuclear option, have
you ever heard of something called 'politics', sir?  Let me
explain it to you, sir, because it is important.  If we nuke
Iran, we are going to make an awful lot of people very
unhappy with us.  A whole potfull of people, everywhere in
the world.  And sir?  We cannot protect American interests
if the whole world is out to get us, sir.  So why don't you
drop this stupid assed idea, sir?"  Pace reported back to
the Chiefs, and they dragged him over the coals for sugar
coating the message.

I hope someone tells Obama.

Jack Radey

==========

* Comcast workers petition Labor Board for vote on
collective bargaining

Comcast Workers United
News from IBEW Local 2322, November 2011
http://ibew2322.com
For more info contact: Steve Smith (978) 302-3690

Customer Communication Technicians who work out of Comcast's
Fall River and Fairhaven offices have petitioned the
National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) to supervise a union
representation election.  If a majority of the techs vote
for union representation it will finally compel management
to begin talks with employees for improvements in wages and
working conditions.

The technicians have been pursuing collective bargaining for
over a year.  In September 2010, a majority of the workers
signed up with IBEW Local 2322 and requested that management
voluntarily recognize their new union.  Workers sought
voluntary recognition because of management's history of
aggressive -- and sometimes illegal -- interference in
workers' freedom to choose a voice at work.

When Comcast management refused to voluntarily begin talks
about wages and working conditions, the techs enlisted
support from their elected officials, other Comcast workers
and community groups to pressure Comcast into recognizing
their union.

Congressmen Barney Frank, Jim McGovern, Stephen Lynch, Bill
Keating, John Tierney and Senator John Kerry have repeatedly
urged Comcast to begin talks with its employees.  Hundreds
of unionized Comcast workers across the country have signed
letters of solidarity and support for their co-workers in
Massachusetts.  In another show of support, many
Massachusetts communities have sought to include workers'
rights as part of their franchise agreements with Comcast.

"While we weren't successful at getting Comcast to sit down
and talk with us, we are more confident than ever that
collective bargaining and a union contract is what we need
to have job security at Comcast," said Brian Almeida, a tech
from the Fall River garage with ten years of service.

"Management recently made some changes in our working
conditions that could adversely affect our service and our
work," Almeida continued.  "We really need collective
bargaining to have a stronger voice on a broad range of
issues."

"Over the last year we have become better informed about our
rights and more united on the job," said Christine Dexter, a
tech who spoke at a White House forum on workers' rights
last March.  "It has given us the confidence to move ahead
with an NLRB election."

The workers' petition was filed with the NLRB on November 4.
The union vote is expected in about six weeks.

For updates about the Comcast workers union, visit the
Comcast Union Bulletin Board at:
http://comcastunion.blogspot.com or call (978) 302-3690.

Rand Wilson

==========

* Re: Thousands Demonstrate Against the Tar Sands/Keystone
Pipeline, Two articles

Thanks for sending out my article on this, but when you send
out an email with people's input on your pieces the way you
periodically do, could you re-send this link? The one that I
included with my article didn't work. This one does:

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-11-07-encircling-the-white-house-a-new-beginning-is-here

Ted Glick

==========

* Some history (video) - The Rich Will Live and the Poor
Will Dive

http://youtu.be/9ANuvccHM_M

The Panic Is On.Hezekiah Jenkins.1931
zebuzzeo.blogspot.com/

[thanks to Chuck Levenstein for sending this to Portside]

===========

* Re: REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Monday's Tuesday's Thursday's and Saturday's cartoons this
week all target Republicans.

It is so easy to attack the Republicans, and, I would have
thought, not at all Portsideish!

In the mean time, not a single cartoon targets the
Democrats. Have you dropped the idea that you "provide
material of interest to people on the left"? Have you
substituted the idea that the Democrats are the good guys
and the Republicans are the bad guys? Or maybe you now
believe that you provide material of interest to people on
the left of the Democratic Party.

I expect more from you than that.

Gene Glickman

==========

* Re: Iceland and Argentina

Iceland, Argentina

Reference the factually inaccurate article on Iceland:
Europeans (and others) would gain more inspiration from the
example of Argentina, probably. Under President Néstor
Kirchner it defaulted, stood up to the IMF, negotiated
repayment of a gigantic debt on its own terms, and has since
had over 8 years of sustained growth and increased welfare,
with Néstor's successor, Cristina Fernández being re-elected
in October 2011 with 54% support.

Daniel Morgan

[Moderator's Note: We sent out a correction to this article
last Friday. See also - A Deconstruction of "Iceland's On-
going Revolution"
http://grapevine.is/Features/ReadArticle/A-Deconstruction-of-Icelands-Ongoing-Revolution ]

==========

Nov 17 - Out of the Park and into the Streets. 99% Day of
Action -- Make Wall Street pay, restore Main Street

Thursday, November 17 · 5:00pm - 6:30pm

Foley Square
Duane and Centre St
New York, NY

Join members of the 99% coming from Subway Speak Outs,
Occupy Wall Street, community and labor groups to converge
on Foley Square for a massive rally for Jobs and Justice!

From there we take to the street to reclaim the economy from
the 1%

ENDORSERS:
United NY
Strong Economy for All
Working Families Party
1199 SEIU
2022, A Penn South Organization
99ers
Chelsea Forum
CISPES:Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador
Citizen Action NY
Coalition for Educational Justice
Coalition for the Homeless
Common Cause/NY
Communications Workers of America
Community Voices Heard
Democracy For New York City
Goddard Riverside Community Center
GRANNY PEACE BRIGADE
Human Services Council
Hunger Action Network of NY
Housing Works
Job Party
Judson Memorial Church
La Fuente- NYCPP
Make the Road NY
Move On
NEDAP
New Deal for New York
New Sanctuary NYC
Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights
NYC Coalition for Education Justice
New York Communities for Change
Peaceful Uprising
Professional Staff Congress PSC
Right to the City
SEIU 32BJ
Teachers Unite
The Granny Peace Brigade
Transport Workers Union
United Federation of Teachers
United Auto Workers Region 9A
Vocal-NY

more information - https://www.facebook.com/BeyondMay12

====

Make Wall Street pay, restore Main Street
http://action.workingfamiliesparty.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4979

Make Wall Street pay, restore Main Street

Three years after Wall Street speculators and the big banks
got bailed out for bringing the economy to its knees, they
still haven't paid to help clean up the mess they made for
the 99%. But that could change. Oregon Congressman Pete
DeFazio (D-WF) and Iowa Senator Tom Harkin (D) just
introduced a bill to establish a tiny tax discouraging Wall
Street's most reckless gambles. And it uses the revenue to
fund investment in job creation and retention.

Tell your Members of Congress to cosponsor the bill!