Monospaced Font

PORTSIDE  March 2011, Week 1

PORTSIDE March 2011, Week 1

Friday Nite Videos -- March 4, 2011 -- Working America Stands Up

Fri, 4 Mar 2011 22:46:09 -0500

[Friday Nite Videos has overflowed its usual format
tonight. And no apology for it: when Working America is
surging as it is now, we need to see it, to hear it, to
feel the power it has to change the course of the whole
nation. So tonight we have (count 'em) nine videos
spanning music, satire, interview, reportage and few
other things we can't even classify, all pertaining to
the workers and students and other folk standing up,
sitting in, marching, calling it sick and doing
whatever else it takes to beat back the bullies and
toadies. And, speaking of democratic upsurges that
change the course of a nation -- we round out the
week's videos with a tenth one on Egypt and the Arab
world. -- video moderator.]

1 Trumka: Don't Make Us Choose Rights or Job
2 Rap Wisconsin: American Workers Vs Multi-Billionaires
3 Indiana Statehouse Protests to Protect Worker Rights
4 Take ‘Em Down -- Dropkick Murphys Stand With Wisconsin
5 Jimmy Fallon Slow Jams the News: Wisconsin Protests
6 You Inspire Us -- Wisconsin Senator Jon Erpenbach
7 Les Misérables Flash Mob in Madison
8 When Will Teachers Sacrifice Like Wall Street?
9 Stephen Colbert: The Wisconsin Prank Call Bill
10 Mona Eltahawy Challenges J Street

=====
11111

AFL-CIO's Trumka: No American Should Face Choice
Between Rights, Job

Judy Woodruff talks to Richard Trumka, president of the
AFL-CIO, a voluntary federation of 57 U.S. and
international labor unions. Many AFL-CIO members would
be affected by pending state-level legislation that
would cut collective-bargaining rights for public
employees. Transcript: http://to.pbs.org/ekvDqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0P8qO-jVr0
March 3, 2011
12:55

=====
22222

American Workers Vs Multi-Billionaires

Jasirix's latest video "American Workers Vs Multi-
Billionaires" was filmed on location in Madison,
Wisconsin, where thousands of hard working Americans
came together in unity to fight back against a Governor
bought and paid for by Billionaires to break up Unions
and deny workers collective bargaining and a living
wage. "American Workers Vs Multi-Billionaires" was
produced by Cynik Lethal and directed by Paradise Gray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwpSh66aEUw
Feb 23, 2011
3:50

=====
33333

Indiana Statehouse Protests to Protect Worker Rights

Compilation of the first week of protests at the
Indiana statehouse to protect worker rights - February
21 -25, 2011. Video and editing: David Williams. Song:
Eyes on the Prize, Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLIY50lSvuU
February 26, 2011
6:20

=====
44444

Take ‘Em Down -- The Dropkick Murphys Stand With
Wisconsin

Hey Everyone the Dropkick Murphys would like to take a
moment to acknowledge the struggles of the working
people of Wisconsin and to pledge our support and
solidarity by releasing the song "Take Em Down" from
our upcoming album. We think it’s appropriate at the
moment and hope you like it.

We have also created a limited edition "Take ‘Em Down"
t-shirt which will be available for sale shortly at
www.dropkickmurphys.com/merch. Proceeds from the "Take
‘Em Down" t-shirt sales will benefit Workers’ Rights
Emergency Response Fund
(https://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4002/wi-response).

We’ll see you in Wisconsin in a few days,

The Dropkick Murphys Stand With Wisconsin !!!!!

http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/2011/02/22/take-em-down-the-dropkick-murphys-stand-with-wisconsin/
2:11

=====
55555

Slow Jam the News: Wisconsin Protests

Brian Williams, Jimmy and The Roots slow jam the
political stalemate in Wisconsin.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/Slow-Jam-The-News:-Wisconsin-Protests-%283/2/11%29/1308471
March 2, 2011
4:39

=====
66666

You Inspire Us -- Wisconsin Senator Jon Erpenbach

This is Senator Jon Erpenbach's tribute to the working
families of Wisconsin. All of you who keep Wisconsin
going and make it great... you know who you are. As the
Senator says, "Slobs?! I don't think so..."

Thanks to Madison musician Jim Ripp for music and
preschool teacher Scott Collins for photos taken during
solidarity rallies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6CQvex2was
Mar 4, 2011
1:27

=====
77777

Les Misérables Protest Song in Madison (Flash Mob)

A group of Madisonians perform a protest song from Les Misérables during the demonstrations in the Capital against Scott Walker and SB11. This was organized in less than 24 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVEMZSP8Ypk
Feb 27, 2011
2:52

=====
88888

Daily Show: Crisis in Dairyland - For Richer and Poorer
- Teachers and Wall Street

When will America's teachers follow the lead of Wall
Street and start making some sacrifices for the
children?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-3-2011/crisis-in-the-dairyland---for-richer-and-poorer---teachers-and-wall-street
March 3, 2011
5:12

=====
99999

Stephen Colbert: The Wisconsin Prank Call Bill

Bill O'Reilly shows violent footage while talking about
the Wisconsin protests, and Republicans sponsor a bill
that will prohibit prank calls.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/376076/march-02-2011/wisconsin-prank-call-bill
March 2, 2011
4:23

=====
10 10

Mona Eltahawy Challenges J Street

Mona Eltahawy speaking at the J Street Conference
History before Our Eyes: Broader Implications of
Democracy Movements in the Arab World.

Panelists: Mona Eltahawy, Journalist; Ron Pundak,
Director General, The Peres Center for Peace; Robert
Serry, United Nations Special Coordinator for the
Middle East Peace Process. Moderator: Steve Clemons,
Senior Fellow, New America Foundation. Chair:
Ambassador Samuel Lewis, Former American diplomat and
former head of the U.S. Institute of Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwAXfclJvlE
February 27, 2011
5:01