PORTSIDE  December 2012, Week 1

PORTSIDE December 2012, Week 1

Action Alerts: December 5, 2012

Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:54:46 -0500

Action Alerts:  December 5, 2012

1. Rally with Low Wage Workers, Dec. 6 (NYC)
2. Labor Speaks out after Sandy, Dec. 7 (NYC)
3. Historians Against the War - Third National Conference
4. Sign the Jobs-Not-Wars petition

===

Fast Food Workers Join Thousands of Low Wage Workers at
Rally Tomorrow

MEDIA ADVISORY FOR THURSDAY, DECEMBER 6

CONTACT: Danny Massey, [log in to unmask],
646-200-5323 or 917-370-7312

Fast Food Workers Join with Thousands from Retail, Car
Washes, and Airports to Demand Good Jobs, Higher Wages
and a Fair Deal on the ‘Fiscal Cliff’

On heels of fast food strike, low-wage workers will
unite to take campaign to New York City’s commercial
districts during holiday shopping season

WHAT:          Press conference, march to Times Square
for rally, and protest actions at low-wage employers’
locations and Penn Station

WHO:            Workers from fast food restaurants,
airport contractors, carwashes, supermarkets and other
sectors; New York Communities for Change; Make the Road
NY; La Fuente; NYC Central Labor Council; Strong
Economy for All Coalition; 32BJ SEIU; UnitedNY; RWDSU;
progressive activists including MoveOn; and elected
officials

WHEN:           Thursday, December 6 at 4:15 PM

WHERE:        Herald Square, 34th Street and 6th Avenue

WHY:             Since the financial crisis a few years
ago, low-wage work has accounted for all net new jobs
in New York City and New York State. While the
corporations that employ these workers have recovered
from the economic downturn and are now earning massive
profits, they continue to pay their workers low wages
without benefits, often exploiting their workers
through wage theft and workplace abuses.

Workers have begun to fight back, with fast food
workers being the latest to join airport, car wash and
supermarket workers in organizing for better pay and
respect on the job within New York City. Workers and
their allies realize that in order to get the economy
working again, the focus must be on putting money into
the pockets of hard- working men and women in our city
through fair wages and the creation of good jobs,
funded in part by a fair deal on the “fiscal cliff.”

As working families struggle to survive, some members
of Congress have prioritized cutting Social Security,
Medicare and Medicaid and are threatening to take the
country over the fiscal cliff to keep the wealthiest 2%
of Americans from paying their fair share. Labor,
community, student, faith and progressive groups are
united to end the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy,
protect the safety net, and invest in jobs and broader
prosperity.

Protest Actions

6:00 PM – Car wash protest action at SoHo Car Wash, 124
6th Ave. (btw. Spring & Broome)

6:00 PM – Fiscal cliff protest of U.S. Rep. Pete King –
Penn Station, 34th Street and 7th Ave.

6:00 PM – Cablevision workers protest action – Hard
Rock Café, 1501 Broadway (btw. 43rd & 44th)

###

Diana Lee BerlinRosen Public Affairs O: 646-200-5322 C:

===
* Resist, Recover and Rebuild: Labor Speaks out after Sandy

We are pleased to invite you to a forum entitled "Resist,
Recover and Rebuild: Labor Speaks out after Sandy," organized
by the Murphy Institute and the Labor Outreach Committee of
Occupy Wall Street. The forum will be held on Friday December
7th, 2012 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the Murphy Institute, 25
West 43rd Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY.

Hurricane Sandy wrecked public infrastructure across large
parts of New York and New Jersey; people lost their homes,
their communities and even their lives. The storm's
devastation highlighted the vital role of the city's unionized
workforce: from nurses who safely evacuated hospitals to
transit workers that brought subway lines back to life to the
police and firefighters who worked around the clock to assist
those in need.

Weeks later, thousands people remain displaced, while
officials debate the 'value' of rebuilding their
neighborhoods, and seem ready to undercut unionized labor.  It
is crucial that as the recovery continues, we don't allow city
leaders to use the disaster as a chance to gentrify, further
displace and disenfranchise the poor, or to privatize valued
public services. While the storm exposed the rampant
inequalities in and around the city, it has also given us an
opportunity to find new ways to work together.

Speakers include:

* Kevin Harrington , Vice President, Rapid Transit Operations,
Transport Workers Union Local 100
* Nastaran Mohit , Occupy Sandy and the Laundry Workers Center
* Michael Premo , Occupy Sandy
* Judy Sheridan-Gonzalez , New York State Nurses Association
* Moderated by Amy Muldoon , Communications Workers of America
Local 1106

We hope you will join us in opening up this important
discussion. Please RSVP to Eloiza Morales, at 212-642-2029 or
[log in to unmask] We look forward to seeing you.

Sincerely,

Gregory Mantsios,
Director

==========

* Historians Against the War - Third National Conference!

The dust has settled at last on the 2012 elections, and all of
us focused on stopping war and making peace are back where we
started.  The "War on Terror" justifying grossly illegal
actions by our government.  The U.S. military's umbrella
spreading further over the world.  Unqualified support to the
Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands and killing of
Palestinian people.

HAW was founded almost ten years ago to oppose the looming
invasion of Iraq, but our purview has always been larger - the
"two, three, many Iraqs" looming in the future.  We're still
here because we need to be.

Our next project, which we hope you will support, is HAW's
Third National Conference, to be held April 5-7, 2013, at
Towson State University.  Its theme is self-explanatory, THE
NEW FACES OF WAR, exploring the vast range of contemporary
militarism - so much of it "below the radar," unmanned and
silent, unlike during the Bush-Cheney years, when everyone
knew who and what to oppose.  This conference will not only
provide cutting edge analysis of U.S. wars in the twentieth
century, it will also offer ideas about what we can do to
oppose them.

Although months off, the conference is already coming together
very strongly.  Featured speakers include Rashid Khalidi
(Columbia), Alfred McCoy (U. of Wisconsin), Ann Wright (Code
Pink), and Marilyn Young (NYU).

Roundtables and panels already accepted address topics such as
"Imperial War from Counterinsurgency to Drones," "The Asia-
Pacific Pivot," "The New Conscientious Objectors," "Law and
the New Faces of War," and "Teaching the War on Terror."
(Proposals for panels, workshops, and individual papers are
still being accepted at [log in to unmask] up to
December 15.)

It costs real money to put a conference like this-for
facilities, printed materials, travel, all the nitty-gritty.
We again need your financial support.  Anything from $25 to
$100, or anything above or below those figures, would be much
appreciated.  You can use the PayPal link on our website (at
http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/donations.html or else
mail a check to me as HAW Treasurer at the Department of
History, Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster PA 17604-3003.

Thank you, and hope to see you in April,

Van Gosse,
For the HAW Steering Committee

===

Jobs Not Wars

Sign the Jobs-Not-Wars petition to tell our elected
Representatives in Washington our country needs a new set of
priorities that place the needs of the people ahead of the
profits of the privileged.

Sign on now!
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/302/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=11931

It's Time for Peace and Jobs!

Mr. President and Members of Congress:

During this period, when people of faith and secular people
alike reflect on the year that is ending and look forward with
hope to the year ahead, it is a time to put aside differences
and enmities to celebrate our universal values.

It is in this spirit of humanity and hope that we call upon
you to redirect your efforts and federal resources to:

    End the war in Afghanistan now, bring all our troops home
    and care for and support them upon their return

    Create good jobs at living wages: invest in our
    communities and our people to sustainably grow the economy
    and put people back to work

    Assure communities devastated by hurricane Sandy, that
    reconstruction is performed in the public interest with
    full transparency under the direction and control of
    local, state and federal governments and is accountable to
    the people

    Train and hire veterans, the unemployed and youth from
    historically disadvantaged communities to perform cleanup
    and reconstruction as a part of a broader national jobs
    program to rehabilitate inner cities, build affordable
    energy-efficient homes, repair/replace public
    infrastructure and develop sustainable manufacturing for
    the 21st Century

    Redirect our nation's resources from war and uncontrolled
    Pentagon spending to fund social programs and public
    services, protect and improve Social Security, Medicare
    and Medicaid, repair the social safety net, meet the
    challenge of climate change, and reduce poverty and
    inequality.

    Rely foremost on determined diplomacy and patient
    negotiation, rather than military power to respond to
    international disputes, differences or conflicts

    Require those at the top of the income ladder, giant
    corporations and financial speculators to pay their fair
    share of taxes.
    We ask that you summon the personal courage and moral
    fortitude to transcend partisan differences to serve the
    common good and public interest

    Give peace a chance!

    We need jobs not cuts! Work not Wars!